Chapter XXXVI

The Queen looked into Avon's eyes, daring her to say something. Avon stayed quiet.
"What, got nothing to say? Even after you insulted me and blackmailed my guard?"
Again, Avon stayed silent.
"Hmm, not even an apology. Well, any requests? My husband insists that I ask, as you're going to die in... two or three weeks."
Avon, again, stayed silent.
"I guess nothing then."
The Queen began to walk off but Avon called out, "Wait!"
"I guess the prisoner does have something to say." The Queen stated, turning back around.
"Tell my brother... Tell my brother that I won't be coming back. Tell him before I die. Please."
Avon began to tear up. She had thought she could get out of this horrible situation. Desperately, she tried to fight back the tears, but they fell anyway. The Queen looked shocked, then sympathetic, but soon returned to her usual expression of distaste.
"Of course."
She began to walk away again. Before she made it to the door, she looked over her shoulder.
"By the way, that monster that got you into this mess will be the one to do the job ; thought you'd like to know."
With that, she left the room with her guards.

"Wow. Didn't imagine you'd have the guts to insult the Queen."
Avon had been facing away from Paula, who hadn't seen her tears. She quickly wiped them away before turning back to her.
"Well. She was being naive, had to put her in her place."
"Still, I wouldn't have the guts to do what you did."
Avon looked down. She zoned out, not listening to Paula's rambling. Bourne would find out Avon was captured. He would find out she was to die. Avon wished he wouldn't visit her. Her last memory of him was the one she wanted to keep, not one of him mourning her eventual death.
"Avon?"
Avon was snapped back to reality.
"What?"
"I asked you how you bribed the guard."
"Oh, um..."
Avon told her the story, however, she was barely focusing on it.