Chapter XXI

Avon woke up and found that she had fallen asleep talking to Jack. Though he was nowhere to be seen, her face flushed pink.
She was still in her dress and jewellery. With help from the mirror on the other side of the room, Avon did her hair. She decided to keep it down. It was wavy and reached down to her chest.
Through the window Avon could see that it was light outside. She got her boots on, walked through the door and down the stairs. Jack was talking to the girl from the night before. He looked at her and smiled.
"Oh, Avon! You're awake." He walked up to her and pulled her towards him.
"Get your stuff, we need to talk." He whispered.
Following what he said, Avon walked back upstairs and took her satchel. She looked for Ginger, so she could put the small dragon in, but then realised she had left her in the forest.
When she got back down, Jack was chatting with the girl again. He saw her and told the girl that he had to leave and wished her a good day.
Jack took Avon to the copse of woods she had changed in yesterday.
"Got more clothes for m-"
"I've got some news on that... that reaper thing."
Avon gasped and covered her mouth. How?
"The inn owner said that some unknown creature was used to execute a prisoner a few days ago. I think they're after you because you know."
That poor man, Avon thought. She had seen the reaper when it wasn't trying to kill her. The amount of fear and pain he had felt upon his death must be unimaginable. No person, no matter the severity of his crime, should have to suffer that.
"Well, it happened," Avon said. "But we've still got time till I'm found. Can we enjoy this day, together?"
Jack kissed her and said, "Of course."
They walked to the park and enjoyed each other's company. Jack danced to silent music with her. When they tired of this, they laid on the grass, talking. Jack had food in his bag, so they ate some late breakfast under an oak tree.
Soon, when the sun had just passed the middle of the sky, they decided to go back into town. The fruits and vegetables they had eaten were all gone, so they went to get a proper meal.
Near the town center was a cafe and they sat down at one of the tables. It was a beautiful area, right next to the park they had just been in. Beautiful flowers and trees surrounded them. In one tree was bird.
"Look, Jack, it's a nightingale!"