Chapter XIII

He smiled down at her and said, "Well, okay, its only fair. I'm Jackson Rosethorn, but just call me Jack."
"Ok, 'Jack', what and interesting second name, though, I've never heard it before."
"Chose it myself, thought it best described me."
"Hmh," she replied. "I like it."
"Well thank you, Avon Fair." He responded. "Now you've got some explaining to do."
Avon gulped. She realised she had never spoken about what happened to anyone in the last day, not even to herself. Avon told him everything, from her job in Bidcambrough as a stable hand to the real reason Sir Axton was after her. He sat there listening intently. His smile never faded, however, as if he was enjoying her bad luck.
"Why are you still smiling? Are you enjoying my clear misfortune?" Avon asked.
"Actually, no, it's just very interesting. May be even more interesting than what happened to me."
Avon resisted the urge to ask about his life. With how reluctantly he had given his name, it was unlikely he would tell his life story.
Jack patted the top of Ginger's head, who was sitting in Avon's lap. She snapped at him.
"Ah, she's feisty." He said, not even annoyed at her.
Avon tapped the tip of the dragon's snout with her finger, warning her not to do it again. He's so patient with the dragons, she thought.
She looked up and the sun had reached its peak in the sky. Jack looked up with her. "Oh, it's already afternoon. We better get going. This forest goes on forever."
Avon packed her satchel, putting Ginger in her usual spot. Jack got up and started walking through the forest.
"Where are you going?" Avon asked.
"Away."
"Have you forgotten that there are two dragons right here?" Avon pointed toward Rapid.
"I don't know how to get on a dragon, let alone ride one."
"Let me teach you." She walked over to Jack and dragged him towards the sky blue dragon. Avon patted Rapid's back, signalling to her that she needed to get up. Rapid towered over Avon, but was only a few centimetres taller than Jack. Avon looked over him. He was around five foot eleven. Much taller than her five foot four.
She placed the saddle on Rapid's back and buckled the straps underneath. Avon proceeded to tie the reigns around the dragons ram shaped horns.
"When she kneels, put your foot on her scapula,-" she pointed towards the tough plate of bone beneath Rapid's wing. It jutted out slightly, making it easier to put your foot on. "then, just hoist yourself up, over her back, be careful of the wing."
Avon lightly pushed the dragon's back down and Rapid knelt. Jack tried to get on but failed. He had begun to lift himself on when his foot slipped on Rapid's scales.
"Try again." Avon said as encouragement.
Jack tried again. Avon pushed him up. He sat up on Rapid's back and smiled.
"I guess I did it."
"With my help remember." Avon replied.
She got on after him, sitting in front. Pulling the reigns, Avon moved Rapid backward. They made it to the centre of the clearing. The dragon moved one leg behind her, crouching. She touched the top of her wings to the grass.
"Get ready."