Chapter XV

"C'mon, let's go in!"
Avon looked around the area. There were no entrances, other than the main gate, that they could go in through.
"There are guards at the gate, how?"
"Over the wall!"
Avon stared at him in bewilderment.
"Your expecting me to do that? Never."
"Hey, we got here your way, we get in there my way."
Avon sighed. It was only fair.
They walked to the wall, careful to avoid the gaze of the guards. From under his cloak, Jack sourced a grappling hook. He threw it over the wall. It caught on the edge and he pulled to make sure it was secure.
Without even glancing at Avon, he started climbing up, like a squirrel scurrying up a tree. He finally arrived at the top and looked down at her.
"What are you waiting for?"
Avon gulped and grabbed the rope. She jumped, pulling herself up. Her boots gripped on and she began climbing up, slowly and carefully. She slipped and Jack laughed, "It's not that hard."
Avon gave him a glare and huffed. She jumped up again and made it half way up. The ground below her seemed so far. With her arms, she pulled herself up and gripped the rope with her feet. She carried on until she was only a foot away from the wall.
Avon forgot the way she was climbing and started to run up the line. She grabbed the wall and nearly made it. Her feet fell from the rope and she hung off the stone bricks.
Jack leaned down and grabbed Avon's waist, hoisting her up. Her feet touched the wall and she stood there, blushing.
"I can see you've never done this before."
Avon was caught off guard by his comment and lost balance. He grabbed her before she fell and pulled her to his chest. They stood like that for a few seconds. His embrace felt warm.
Jack spun her around, away from the edge. The top of the wall was surprisingly wide. He let go of her and she stepped back, blushing.
"Ok, so now we just get down." Jack said.
He took the grappling hook from the wall and loosely fixed it to the other side.
"This time, ladies first." He said.
Avon grabbed the rope and slid down. Her hands grew hot and she let go at the end. Jack began to slide down but halfway the rope collapsed as the hook failed. He landed on his feet and picked up the rope. He wrapped it into a hook and hid it in his cloak again.
"See, it worked."