Chapter XXII

"Look, Jack, it's a Nightingale!"
"Oh, so it is."
Their food arrived. Jack talked to her about the surrounding towns they could go to after this.
"There's a town called Woodlake near here. They're famous for the lake near there. Apparently it's a popular place for couples."
"Who said we're a couple?"
Jack smirked and Avon huffed.
"Anyway, my brother lives there and we haven't, we haven't talked in in a while."
"Why?" He asked. "I thought you're close, you and him."
"He stormed off a year ago, saying he was sick of fathers idleness. He said he couldn't live with a man who had been so abusive."
"How could he leave? Surely he wasn't old enough."
"He was thirteen. I don't think he should have, but legally, he could leave and go anywhere he wanted."
"Well, why don't you go make it u- Avon!"
Avon felt her chair being pulled back. She gasped and rough hands pulled her up by her shoulders.
"Hey!"
Jack got up and shouted in protest. Avon was turned round and she was met by a familiar face. It was the guard from Fort Nor.
"Nice to see you, Avon." He said.
Avon drove her knee into his groin and he let go of her. She ran towards the center of town and Jack followed suit. The area was open and there were barely any stalls that she could hide in. Avon was nearing the church. She looked around. There was nowhere else to hide.
Avon ran towards the church. She flung the doors open and rushed inside. There were grand tapestries. On the right side, was one of Lazaris. He was shown with short, blonde hair and golden armour. On the other side of the hall was one of Virgus. She had long ebony hair, falling down to her hips, and a silver dress.
Jack hurried to Avon's side and shouted, "Hide!"
He ran towards the pedestal at the back. Avon looked around. There was not another good hiding place, so she ran towards Jack.
Suddenly, Avon felt a flurry of wings next her ear and then the call of a nightingale. It caught her off guard. Stupidly, she spun round and fell to the ground. The doors of the church opened again and a white mare trotted in. On its back was a woman with ash blonde hair. She had jewellery encrusted with amethyst gemstones, and a wisteria purple dress. Her face was beautiful, the most beautiful face she had ever seen. The girl looked about sixteen, younger than Avon had expected, but she knew who it was. Standing in front of her, was Ash Nightingale, Queen of Bidcambrough.