Chapter XVI

They walked through town, looking around.
"It looks like we're in Tendelvel."
Around them were many stalls selling goods like clothing and jewellery. Avon stared at the ruby necklaces and sapphire rings. This city was famous for the hundreds of jewels found in their mine. Tendelvel was also famous for the large church dedicated to the bond of the Earth Mother and Sky Father. It was visible from nearly anywhere in the city. From what Avon could see, there were large, oak doors carved with patterns. Beside them were large tapestries, one blood red and the other navy blue. The church had been placed so that when the sun rose from behind it, it would illuminate the building.
Jackson grabbed her hand and dragged her towards a market stall, which had dresses and skirts hanging around it.
"Which one do you want?" He asked.
"Do we even have the money?"
Without answering, he took down a sage green dress in a halter style. It would probably have reached down to a point just above her ankles.
"It would suit you."
"It really is beautiful, I love it, but do we have enou-"
Jackson put it on the table. The shopkeeper looked confused, probably because of the conversation they were having.
"Um, that is a rather expensive dress," she said. "Are you sure you can pay?"
Jack chucked several coins on the table and the shopkeeper was shocked.
"Will forty rirso do?"
The woman took the dress and handed it to Jack. She took about three quarters of the coins and slid the rest toward him.
They walked to another stall. This one was a jewellery stall with chains made of silver and gold. Jack looked around. He took a platinum necklace. A simple chain with a small circle of light green malachite.
"Don't buy it Jack, I don't need it." Avon tried to explain.
Despite what she said, he began to put it on the counter. Avon grabbed his arm, yanking him away from the stall, and he dropped the necklace in the counter. The man at the stand stood there confused.
"Stop spending. I don't need these things!" She scolded.
"I know you don't," his voice was calm and controlled, very different to Avon's. "But I want you to have them."
He twirled his finger around a strand of her hair. She was frozen in place as he walked back to the stand and bought the necklace. He walked back to her and walked past. Avon followed him as he manoeuvred the crowds.