Chapter X

She woke up and stretched. The beds were surprisingly uncomfortable, for such a popular place. Before Avon had rented her room, she had seen several people in the lounge, enjoying a few drinks.
Avon got out of the bed and walked towards her satchel. She took out the kaftan she had bought yesterday. She couldn't wait to change out of her old clothes.
She slid out of her cotton tunic and overalls, then, she pulled the kaftan over her head and shoulders and it fell all the way down to her feet.
Avon walked to the door and slid into her boots. She grabbed her satchel and leaned over to Ginger. Carefully, she put the dragon in, hoping that she would stay.
She opened the door and went to the top of the stairs. She arrived on the bottom floor to find breakfast being served.
Avon rummaged through her pocket and only found about ten rirso ; she had spent over half of her money on the room and couldn't afford to spend too much on breakfast.
Avon walked out of the bar and into the town square. Around her were stalls selling fruits and vegetables. She looked around for a cheap breakfast when a shout sounded from the other side of the square. "We're from Bidcambrough Castle!"
Avon swivelled round. Only about twenty metres away from her were two guards. Emblazoned on the breastplate of their armor was the Royal Coat of Arms. They were indeed from the capital.
Oh no, oh no, oh no
What was she meant to do? If she ran she would draw attention to herself. She looked over a villagers shoulder, feigning an expression of confusion, as to fit into the crowd. None of the guards there she had seen before, hopefully meaning they couldn't recognise her. Most likely, they were her for her head, on the order of Sir Axton.
"We're her for Avon Fair. We know you're here."
Avon gulped. She ducked back, behind a man and then another. Quickly, she headed behind a stall and to a wide alleyway. On the other side was another exit, in case she got caught. However, she was sure she had not been seen. She leaned against the wooden wall of a house and closed her eyes. She contemplated how she had gotten herself into this mess.
Avon looked up, opening her eyes. Although she had heard no noise, they were there. The guards. Standing right in front of her.
She gulped. What was she meant to do? Avon side stepped but the guard blocked her. She tried again but the same thing happened. They had her cornered.
"Did you think we didn't recognise you? We were given a sketch, of course, but you look more like a guilty thief in real life!" One of them said.
Avon didn't know what they had been told but it couldn't be good.