Chapter XXXI

Avon walked away from the cafe, her brother calling her name. Then, she heard a chair skid over stone tiles and, a few seconds later, a hand grab her shoulder. She shook it off.

Soon, Avon made it back to the house and sat in Bourne's room ; she had been sleeping in there the past few days. It was a useless hiding place. Bourne would come back at some point and know exactly where to find her, but she didn't have anywhere else to go. However, it would buy her time.
Adam walked past the door and looked in. He saw Avon and looked around. Bourne wasn't there, so he decided to go in.
"Where's Bourne?"
"Don't know."
"It's not like him to stay behind."
Then, they heard hurried footsteps going up the stairs. A figure rushed into the room. Bourne was panting : he had clearly been running the whole way here from the cafe.
"Bourne! What's wrong?" Adam asked.
"Avon," Bourne said, ignoring the question. "Don't run off like that!"
"I'm not leaving!"
"You have to! You don't know what will happen if you stay."
Adam looked over the siblings in confusion. No one else in the house knew the real reason Avon was here, except for Bourne and Avon herself.
"What's goi-"
"I'm not leaving unless I have to!" Avon shouted and walked out the room, pushing her brother out of the way. She realised this was just like when Bourne had left, except Avon was arguing about wanting to stay.
She stormed down the stairs and heard her brother following her. When she made it down to the base of the stairs, she turned around. Bourne was halfway down and Adam, still confused, was standing near the doorway of the room they were just in.
The door behind them opened and one of their roommates walked in. He looked over the situation and decided not to question.
"Hey, Bidcambrough guards are in town. Do you think they're here for taxes?"
Bourne and Avon froze. They're here, Avon thought. They looked at each other, fear covering both of their faces.
"What's wrong?" The man at the door said.