Chapter VIII

Avon soared through the night sky on the back of her dragon. She should have been thinking about how she would escape the grasp of the Bidcambrough knights, the knights of the capital city. How she would survive with only a small pack of supplies. How she would be able to resolve her problem. But all of it was forgotten as the wind blew through her hair.
She was transported to the first time she had ever ridden a dragon. Sitting on her fathers lap and her little brother sitting on hers. They had soared on the back of a large, rust coloured dragon with crooked horns. She had loved those days, before she had to work and before her father had become a drunkard.
Avon leaned towards Rapid's back, building up speed. They flew upward, skimming the top of the clouds, relishing the moment.
The night sky was dark and the moon at its peak. Avon had probably been riding for hours, but in all the excitement it had felt like minutes. She urged Rapid to fly higher, towards the very stars.
Avon wandered what would happen if she just flew away, into the endless sky. Flying into the Sky Father's embrace, what would it feel like? She knew it was impossible but what was the harm in imagining?
It would feel cool, she thought, but have its own warmth. The stars would envelop her, surrounding her in a blinding light. She would leave behind the struggles of life and work, but most of all, the impossible mess she had gotten herself into.
Avon found herself nodding off. Thoughts spoke in her mind, almost acting like a soothing lullaby. She didn't know if it was the thin air around her, or the fatigue from her day of work and running around. Avon rested her head Rapid's neck. She felt the dragons beating pulse against her ear. She counted each one. Ten... Eleven... Twelve... Thirteen......

It was like a scene from a painting. A woman lying on the back of a sky blue dragon. Out of the woman's satchel, a golden, sleeping dragon's head could be seen. It was serene. They skimmed the clouds, flying towards the full moon.