Chapter Forty-Two

My head was pressed against the wall as I stared at the elevator door. The subtle motion was enough to make me dizzy and sick. I woke up this morning with a massive headache, and a body so sore that I swear there are bruises deep inside my muscles.

The headache subsided thanks to the hangover medicine that our househelps served together with the chicken noodle soup. Iyon nga lang ay may hilo pa rin at parang masusuka pa rin ako anytime.

What's worst is that I don't remember everything that happened last night. I don't remember getting home or how I ended up in my bed. My last memory is reaching the club with Trix and Phil and meeting their friends. I remember the endless tequila shots... but that's it. I don't remember anything! At all!

Basing on the endless tequila shots, it only makes sense to conclude that I passed out. Hindi ako malakas uminom kaya hindi nakakapagtaka... but this is definitely my first time to not remember anything after a night out.

Maybe Phil or Trix drove me home? They promised to take care of me anyway. That's also something that makes sense. Wala akong phone o cash na dala. They're my only way home.

My stomach coiled, halting my thoughts. I stood up straight and caught my mouth. I heaved and nothing came out. Thank God.

Mag-isa ako sa elevator pero hindi pa rin maganda na dito ako sumuka. My mother will surely scold me for it.

The elevator dinged on my floor. I stood up properly and had a quick look of my outfit through my reflection. A matching pale pink blazer suit that has a long lapel and shorts. Underneath the suit, I just wore a white top with sweetheart neckline. I completed the look with white heels and covered my current hangover state with black wayfarer.

I placed my finger on the scanner to open the glass doors, entering the hive. Everyone greeted their polite good morning as soon as they spotted me. Ngumiti lang ako at kumaway habang naglalakad patungo sa aking maliit na opisina.

My mom hates my office, she said I deserve a bigger one but I argued that I don't really need too much space. She also wants me to stay on their floor, which is for the management but as the Creative Director, I need to be near the team. My office has a minimalist and modern design with staple furniture and a good view.

Having zero work experience, setting aside the fact that I basically trained here since I was young, and immediately securing a high position was scary. I didn't want it at first because I know there are other people who deserved my spot... but I made it my mission for the past two years to face my fear — so I did it regardless of what the employees will think at first, thinking that if I can face this, I'd be brave enough to face my real fear.

It didn't work, obviously, but I still did a great job in my new position thanks to my mother's guidance. I proved myself worthy of respect in the eyes of our employees, not because I'm the owner's daughter but because of my capabilities and skills.

I removed my glasses and placed it on my desk. I sat on my swivel chair and leaned back before closing my eyes. I wonder if this nausea will last the whole day.

Hindi pa nakakalipas ang ilang minuto ay may kumatok sa opisina ko. Napahinga ako nang malalim at ibinukas ang mga mata.

"Come in," I stated aloud.

I sat up properly when the door opened and Gia, the office secretary, entered with documents pressed against her chest.

"Goodmorning, Ma'am," she greeted as she closed the door behind her.