Chapter Nineteen

My eyes roamed around with excitement and interest. Everything was fresh to me. The big old trees scattered around the campus, the buildings that held so much history, and the diversity of students. Some are wearing uniforms, some are dressed in civilian clothes like me which easily helps in identifying who are freshmen and who are not.

I sat on a bench near the administration building, under the shade of a big tree that was overlooking the wide soccer field.

It's not my first time to be here. I've been here last February when we took our entrance exam and walked around the campus.

Ngayon ang first day ng klase pero ngayon pa lang ako mag-e-enroll. We just came back from our summer vacation yesterday. Allowed naman ang late enrollment, kaya walang problema.

College is so much different than highschool. It was way better than I imagined. Without the scheduled flag ceremony and close monitoring of students, college already feels so liberating.

You own your time. No one will reprimand you when you cut classes. The freedom is intoxicating but it teaches accountability and consequences.

I can't help but smile. I feel giddy and excited for what's in store for me this academic year.

My train of thoughts got cut off when my eyesight turned black and I could feel a pair of hands pressing down on my eyes. My forehead creased but an amused grin evoked from me. Amoy pa lang ay alam ko na kung sino.

Hindi ko naman talaga kailangan hulaan. May usapan kami na magkita rito dahil sasamahan niya akong mag-enroll.

"Atti," I stated.

He snickered and removed his hands that were covering my eyes. I turned my body to look at him properly. My lips almost parted upon seeing him.

I haven't seen him in a few months and I feel like he changed drastically. Yes, we sometimes Facetime but iba pa rin yung makikita in person.

His hair was textured and perfectly styled. A huge change to his short haircut back when we were in highschool. It was long that I bet the bangs will reach his eyes without the wax. The sides were cut shorter to make the whole look clean. It perfectly showcases the black earring that he was wearing on his right ear.

It's not just his hair that changed though. His body built looks different now, too. He used to be model-lean, but now I can see the muscles forming on his arms. He looked like a complete badass in just black shirt, pants, and work boots. I can already tell that he'll easily be the campus crush.

Naglaho ang ngisi niya nang makita ako nang maayos. He stared at my face as if I grew two heads. Medyo nanlaki ang mga mata niya na para bang ngayon niya lang akk nakita.

"Your hair," he pointed out, blatantly staring at me.

The blood rushed to my cheeks. I shyly and consciously fixed my hair. Hanggang ibabaw ng balikat na lang 'yon. I had it colored into ash blonde balayage. It was styled with lazy beach wave curls because today's special and I had time.

"Pumunta kami ng salon ni Mommy kahapon."

"You look different." He was still gawking at me.

I suddenly wanted to cover my hair with something. I shouldn't have let my mother convince me to color my hair with something so light. Nakakahiya!

"Hindi ba bagay?"

He shook his head. "Maganda pa rin. Hindi lang ako sanay."

Lalo akong nahiya sa compliment niya. I still want to cover my hair and hide from everyone.