Chapter Eighteen

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you..." Atticus hoarsely sang as soon as I answered his video call.

I laughed and shook my head at his antics. "Thank you."

"You're most welcome," he exclaimed. "It's 12 there, right?"

"Yup. Sakto. It's six in the morning in Manila. Maaga kang nagising?"

He slightly pursed his lips. "I set an alarm just to greet you."

I noticed the headboard behind him. He's wearing a white shirt. His eyes were a little chinky from sleep and he had a bed hair that looked like the hairstyle of a male model. Ibig sabihin kakagising niya lang talaga.

"Kakagising mo lang?" I asked.

"Yup. I saw your IG story. You celebrated early?"

Napangiti ako. I just posted that video an hour ago. I grabbed it from Kuya Zeno. The camera showed me at first and then turned to Kuya Hadeon who was carrying a cake with sparkling candles and Ate Laurene who's holding a popper. They were singing happy birthday as they approached me. The rest of the family sang along. Nakita sa video ang gulat sa mukha ko.

I wasn't really expecting anything because it was not my birthday yet but they surprised me with it.

I shook my head. "They just surprised me with a cake."

"I saw. Nagulat ka." He chuckled as if he remembered something funny.

"Are you laughing at me?" I grumbled.

"No," nakatawa pa rin na sagot niya. "It's just you were so cute."

Imbis na magalit ay napangiti na lang ako. I was about to ask him for his plans for today when a notification popped up in my screen. Halos lumuwa ang mga mata ko nang makita ang pangalan ni Ali.

I tapped on the notification. Lumiit ang video namin ni Atticus sa upper right corner ng screen.

You missed a video chat with Ali Santiesteban.

Ali Santiesteban:
Happy Birthday, sweet Hyon.

Parang hinabol ang puso ko sa nabasa.

He called me! Maybe to greet me? But he called me!

"A-Atticus," I called. My nervousness and excitement radiated in my voice kaya medyo nanginig pa.

"Yeah?"

"I-Is it okay if we just talk tomorrow?"

"Huh? Why? Matutulog ka na?"

"Uh. Hindi pa. May gagawin lang."

"Oh. Okay." He nodded. "Happy Birthday again. I miss you."

"I miss you, too," nakangiting sabi ko. I waved my hand. "Bye."

Atticus ended the call. I feel bad, cutting my conversation with Atticus so briefly but the guilt didn't last. It was overpowered by excitement. Birthday ko naman. Baka pwedeng iregalo ko na lang ito sa sarili ko?

Huminga muna ako nang malalim bago pinindot ang video call. I held my breath as it rang. On the screen, I can see how bare and pale my face was. My hair suddenly looked to wild for me and I looked constipated.

Mag-ayos muna kaya ako?

With that thought, my thumb flew to press the end button. Ibinaba ko ang phone sa kama at nagsuklay ng buhok gamit ang kamay. My hair is so long now. Halos umabot na ito ng dulo ng likod ko. It's curled a bit on the end.

I bit and suck my lips to give it a bit color. Inayos ko rin ang kilay ko. All of that happened in less than a minute.

If my heart could scream, it would have already did that to match the sudden ringing of my phone.