Chapter Forty

"Kumain ka na ba?" I asked. His eyes slightly look jaded as it peered on me.

He shook his head. "I needed to see you first."

Napanguso ako. I'm torn between frowning and smiling. Ayaw ko na magutom siya pero hindi ko mapigilan ang kiligin dahil gusto niya akong makita.

"Kumakain pa kami ng dinner. Dito ka na lang kumain," aya ko. I reached for his hand that was cupping my cheek. His eyes dropped to our hands as I slowly intertwined our fingers together. He bit his lip as I did it.

Hindi siya umangal nang hilahin ko siya papasok ng bahay. My family warmly welcomed him. Tumayo pa si Mommy para yakapin si Ali at halikan sa pisngi. They already had a plate ready for him.

Apart from Kuya Hadeon and Kuya Zeno na hindi pa tapos dahil matakaw, they were already done with dinner. They had our househelps prepare dessert para masabayan kami ni Ali sa hapag-kainan.

I know and I'm sure Ali's aware that my family's exerting an effort to make the dinner comfortable for him and in spite of that, the atmosphere was light. It was like a normal dinner.

"Are you going to return to your house?" tanong ni Dad.

"No, Tito. I'll head to my condo," Ali calmly answered.

My Dad frowned. It's not that hard to deduce that even with what Ali's family is going through, he can't stay at their home because he's not okay with his mother.

"You'll be alone then?" Lumalim ang simangot ni Mommy. "Why don't you stay here for tonight? We have a few guest rooms naman. You can also borrow Xavi's clothes."

"Thank you for the offer, Tita, but I don't want to intrude."

"You're not intruding. My wife invited you. Dito ka na matulog, Ali," sabi ni Daddy.

Umuwang ang labi ni Ali na parang aalma pa siya. Tumingin siya sa akin at matapos ay tumango bago ibinalik ang tingin sa parents ko. "Okay, Tito. Thank you."

After dinner, we bid our goodnights to one another. Sumama si Mommy sa paghatid kay Ali sa guestroom. It's three doors away from my room.

At dahil kasama si Mommy ay hindi ako nakapag-goodnight nang maayos kay Ali. Actually, if it weren't for my Mom, I would probably stay with him just to make sure that he's fine.

I cleaned up and changed into proper sleeping clothes. Nakahiga na ako sa kama pero hindi ako mapakali. I can text or even call Ali but it seems silly to do it, since he's just a few walls away.

Hindi rin ako nakatiis. Lumabas ako ng kwarto para pumunta sa guestroom. The hallway was dark but that didn't stop me from going to where Ali is.

I softly knocked before twisting the doorknob. It wasn't locked so I managed to push it open. Hindi ako agad pumasok at sumilip muna.

Ali already changed into a white shirt and black shorts. He was motionless in bed as he blankly stared at the ceiling. He looked like he was lost in his own mind that he didn't even hear me knock.

"Ali," I gently called.

Wala sa sarili na lumingon si Ali sa gawi ko. Even with his eyes already on me, it took him a few seconds to snap out of his thoughts. He carefully sat up. He brushed his hair before gazing at me with those tired eyes.

"Come here," he hoarsely called. Pati sa boses niya ay rinig ko ang pagod.

He doesn't need to cast a spell on me. I entered the room, closing the door behind me. I willingly walked towards his way. He stretched his arm when I reached the side of the bed and successfully pulled me to him.