Chapter Twenty-Seven

It all happened so fast.

Ali tried to hide me behind him but I saw enough to embed Atticus' reaction in my mind. How he was confounded at first and how it transformed into pain and anger.

He moved so quickly that all I could do was shriek when Ali stumbled a bit when Atticus punched him straight in the face.

"Traydor ka!" Atticus fumed and tried to throw another punch to his brother. Ali only blocked Atticus' advances but he never fought back.

"Atticus! Stop!" I screamed, hoping that my voice will be enough to stop him.

"Gago ka, Kuya! Gago ka!" pumiyok ang galit na galit na boses ni Atticus. His eyes were red and the tears were starting to fall from it.

Atticus gripped on Ali's coat. Ali was inches taller than him but he still managed to do it because of anger. His fists were shaking.

"Atticus, please!" I cried out again.

"Atticus.." Ali calmly called. His voice wasn't strained. He was composed, the very opposite of how Atticus was feeling.

Tuluyan nang tumulo ang mga luha ni Atticus. Nanlabo ang mga mata ko at pakiramdam ko ay sumabay ang luha ko sa pagpatak.

Padabog na bumitaw si Atticus sa pagkakahawak kay Ali. Nagawa pa niya itong itulak palayo. Ali let out a sigh but still remained silent.

"I told you I love her, Kuya! How could you—" Atticus' eyes briefly looked at me. My body went cold with guilt and shame. "How could you fucking kiss her!"

Seeing the pain in Atticus face tore my heart. Halos makalimutan ko na ang saya na naramdaman kanina lang. All I could feel right now was fear and pain.

"Atticus..." my voice trembled as I called his name for the third time.

I heard Ali inhaled sharply after that. I didn't spare him a glance. I kept my eyes locked on Atticus.

"Is it him? He's the guy that you like?" Atticus looked at me as like I betrayed him; like I was complete sinner and he's disgusted at the sight of me.

I bit my lip. I didn't think it was possible for my heart to break over and over again. I breathed in deeply and carefully nodded. My cheeks were hot with endless tears. "I'm sorry."

Atticus' face contorted as if I just hurt him in the worst way possible. He lifted his hand and pressed it to his lips. His tears flowed continuously. "Why? Why does it have to be him?"

Para akong paulit-ulit na sinasaksak sa dibdib habang tinititigan si Atticus pero hindi ko magawang alisin ang tingin sa kanya. I just wanna make him feel better but I don't know how or if I'm even capable of doing that when I know I'm the cause of his pain.

Unti-unti akong humakbang palapit sa kanya. He watched me as I closed the distance between us.

"I'm sorry, Atticus," I whispered. Because what else is there to say without hurting him?

"Hyon..." Atticus cupped my face. Tears relentlessly poured from his eyes as he intently stared at it me. "Ako naman ang una mong nakilala, diba? Bakit hindi na lang ako? Bakit siya pa?"

"Atti," I cried out.

"Ako na lang, please." His hands fell to my shoulders and gripped on it, as if he refuses to let me go. "Please..."

Mas dumiin ang hawak niya sa akin. It was an involuntary reaction to wince.

"You're hurting her, Atticus," Ali's voice was stern this time. Wala na ang kalmado at mapagpasensyang boses kanina.