Part 24: the one where she goes

I pack my bags with two tops, shorts, leggings, underwear, headphones and my charger. I decided to stay in Jaden's top and I slip on jeans and I jumper over the top. I slip on my vans and grab my wallet along with my keys. I exit my room in a haste and rush to the front door.

"Hey where the hell are you going?" I hear Dylan call as I open the front door.

"Out!" I shout and close the door behind me. I jump in my car and start it up. I pull out of the drive way. God this is gonna be a long drive.

-

8 hours later it was 7 pm and I was exhausted. I thought I could stick it through the whole drive but I was so tired and so heavy. I parked in an empty parking lot and sat there for a moment. I remembered I had a blanket in the boot from when I went to a drive in movie with Bella one time. I hop out and get that. I hop in the back seat and grab my things from the front. I turned my phone off and not once the past 8 hours I have checked it. I drove in silence the entire time, my thoughts over-clouding everything in my brain. Now that I've stopped driving, my thoughts are even more present. I didn't want to answer the thousands of messages and notifications I would get if I turned my phone on so decided it would be best to leave it off. I reached across to the front seat and turned the car off then locking the door. It was dark. Cold. Silent, too silent for my liking. I had to sleep otherwise I won't be able to do anything tomorrow. I lay down the best of my abilities since my legs were too long to be straight. It wasn't the most comfortable but it will have to do. I close my eyes and rest my head on my bag, acting as my pillow for tonight. The blanket wasn't the most warm but I suppose it was better than nothing. I tossed and turned till I found the least uncomfortable position, then I was out like a light.

-

I woke up due to the sunlight beaming through the window. I took my a second to remember where I was. I sat up in the back seat of my car and stretched. I looked outside the windows and the car park was still deserted. I guess it would make since I'm almost in the middle of nowhere. I throw my things in the passenger seat and leave the blanket in the back before climbing through to my drivers seat. I start the car and flip the visor down to look in the mirror. Wow I was a mess. I check the clock in the car. 6am. I wipe under my eyes to get rid of some of the smudged mascara before putting my seatbelt on and driving out of the car park. After another hour of driving, my gas light started flicking. Well shit. I quickly pull into the next gas station which was luckily only 10 minutes away from when the light first turned on. I filled up my car and I just had enough cash to pay for the gas as well as a coffee and some snacks for the road. Guess I'll be using my card to buy anything else. I hoped back into the car and started it again. Only 6 more hours and I will be there. You got this.

-

5 and a half hours of driving and I was in the city again. I missed when I used to live here. I was only little but I remember seeing all the big buildings and the hundreds of people, watching in awe of how grown they all looked. Now here I am 10 years later looking for my best friend after so long. I stop at the café I always went to when I was little called "White Flower". I walk in the familiar café and everything still looks the same. The red brick walls, the rustic chairs and tables. The warm inviting smell of coffee. Stacey was just 23 when she opened the café and we were regulars for 6 years, until we moved. I haven't seen her in so long that I don't think she will remember me. I walk up to the counter and there she was, working away ten years later seeming still the bright bubbly owner I met when I was at the grand age of 1.

"Hi what can I get for you today?" she asks not making eye contact.

"Yeah I'll get the usual." I say. In that moment she looks up confused.

"Oh I'm so sorry ma'am I don't think I have taken your order before. What is your usual exactly?" she asks me.

"I'll take your famous vegan grilled cheese with a side of pasta." I say smiling.

"I'm sorry ma'am we don't do pa-" she didn't even finish her sentence before it clicked.

"Lana?" she said confused and I grin, nodding my head.

"Oh my god look at you! You're so grown up oh my, wow! What are you doing here?" she says cheerfully walking around the counter. I engulf her into a hug.

"I'm here to find someone, you might remember him?" I say as more of a question.

"Are you talking about your adorable brother or your cute little best friend you brought with you everywhere?" she asks with a cheeky smile.

"Well it's not my brother since he is still back in Adelaide." I explain and she understands.

"Wait didn't you and that kid move to Adelaide together?" she asks and I nod.

"Well then what are you doing in Sydney?" she asks still confused.

"Well he moved here a year ago after an accident but it's a long story." I say, trying not to show my sadness.

"I have time, Rachel is coming in in about 5 minutes and I can have my break." She says.

"I would love to stay but I really need to get going. I just came to say hello and try one of those amazing coffee's my mum wouldn't shut up about." I say smiling.

"Oh of course!" she cheers and walks behind the counter. I place my credit card on the counter and she shakes her head.

"It's on the house." She shrugs.

"Stacey don't be silly, I can pay for my coffee." I roll my eyes.

"I never said you couldn't but I'm not allowing you to." She smiles at me whilst preparing my coffee.

"Almond milk?" she asks.

"You know it," I say playfully. Ever since I was little my mum has tried to make me as healthy as possible because I had always been on the heavier side. Even eating healthy for 12 years I am still a big girl.

"Here you go," she says placing the coffee on the counter in front of me.

"Hey could I maybe get your number and we could catch up again sometime?" I ask her.

"Oh that would be lovely! Here," she says handing me her phone un locked. I give her mine before grabbing hers and typing in my number to her contacts. I grab my phone back and lock it before sliding it into my back pocket.

"Oh before I go I need to use the bathroom, can I go out the back?" I ask her. There was no access to toilets for the customers but ever since I was little she had let me use the staff bathrooms. She nods her head and I place my coffee back on the counter before giving her a quick thank you and shuffling to the bathroom. I pee quickly, freshen myself up and walk back out.

"It was great to see you again Stace," I give her another hug and walk around to the other side of the counter again.

"You too hun, we need to hang out and catch up on everything." She says whilst wiping down a few tables.

"Of course, I will message you soon. Have a good day!" I call as I walk toward the door.

"You too sweetie!" she calls out as I walk out the door toward my car. I hope back into the car and start it again. I drive another 20 minutes and I was finally here. Their house. His house. I take a deep breath. I get out the car and lock it behind me. I make my way up the drive and stand at the front door. Wait, what the fuck am I doing? After everything, I'm back here. Why am I here? I want to see him. I really do. But why? After all of that, what's the point? I start panicking and I face away from the door. I start to make my way down the steps and back to my car but when I hear something I stop dead in my tracks.

"Can I help you?"