Part 18: the one where they surprise her

Kate and I had a long talk about Ruel last night. She helped me understand a lot.

"Well that's no surprise." Kate says casually.

"Wait what?" I say confused.

"Lana, you and Ruel have been friends since you were 5. You've never had a huge fight and you have never hurt each other, emotionally or physically. All you feel for each other is love and it's pretty clear, to me at least, that one of you would fall if not both of you." She says.

I guess she was right. I ended up getting another 3 hours of sleep since I was laying with Kate but I woke up since the nurse came in the check on Ruel's breathing and general health at 7am. It was now 8:30 am and Kate had just gone to get some food for us.

"hey kiddo," Ralph says as he walks into the hospital room. He unfortunately couldn't stay at the hospital because his work wouldn't allow him to take days off. Today he goes in later on so he came to check on Ruel before work.

"Hey Ralph," I say as I scroll through the notes in my phone looking at the assignments I had due. Fuck I'm definitely gonna fail Humanities.

"I have a surprise for you," he says excitedly. I lock my phone and put it on the arm of the chair next to me.

"Will I like it?" I say curiously.

"I sure hope so. Come in!" he calls out to the door. The door opens and my first instinct is to jump of the couch, so do just that.

"Jay! Bella!" I say loudly and run toward them and engulf them into a hug. They both laugh and hug me back. After a solid minute, they let go I do the same. I look behind them to see Kate.

"So you went to get them and not food?" I ask her. She just nodded.

"But now I'm off the get food because I'm starving." She says and I smile as she turns around and walks toward the café.

"What are you guys doing here?" I turn back to Bella and Jaden.

"Did you think we would let you stay here alone when out best friend got shot and is in a coma? We aren't fucking retards." Jay says rolling his eyes.

"How are you holding up?" Bella asks me.

"Never been better." I say sarcastically.

"Lana, I know you use humour to cope but seriously. How are you? You look like you need some sun." Bella says clearly worried for my health.

"Do I really look that bad?" I ask walking to the bathroom in the hospital room. I look in the mirror and gasp. I looked terrible. I was pale and my face looked skinny. It's only been three day, why do I look so different?

"You haven't been eating, haven't you?" Jay asks me whilst wrapping his arms around my shoulders. I shake my head sadly. He sighs and rests his head on top of mine.

"Girl, you have to eat. This isn't what Ruel would want you to do." Bella says holding my hand.

"I'm trying guys, I really am. But I have lost my appetite. I can barely sleep and my stress levels are sky rocketing. I don't know why I just don't wanna do anything except stay here and make sure he is okay." I say putting my head down. Jaden grabs my shoulders and turns me around to face him.

"You listen to me and you listen good Lana," he says as get grabs my chin and make me look at him.

"I know you're beating yourself up for this because that's what you always do. You alays blame yourself, even when you didn't do anything wrong. You over think and always think the worst of any situation but I promise you, Ruel is gonna be okay. He will wake up and he will hug you and you will most likely cry tears of joy because we all know you're an emotional little bitch when it comes to shit like this." He says dead serious and I laughed a little at his statement. He isn't wrong.