Part 5: the one where it goes wrong

"Hey, what's up with you?" Ruel asks me before taking a bit of his McChicken burger.

"Nothing I'm fine," I said shortly.

"Love, I can tell you're not fine. Tell me what's wrong," he says putting his burger down.

"It's just, Nikki. You don't understand her like I do Ruel. You don't see the kind of person she is without you." I say trying to sound as nice as possible, only to not hurt Ruel.

"What are you on about? She is the nicest most caring person." He says, his eyebrows slowly getting closer together.

"Forget it. It doesn't matter. You're with her and there is nothing I can do about it," I say pushing my food away and slouching down. I suddenly lost my appetite. Not the first time.

"Lana, come on you had one chip," he says pointing at my food. I just roll eyes and sigh.

"I just don't understand what she ever did to you?" he said sounding confused. I didn't want to do it but I had to. I snapped and this time.... It was bad.

"How do you not remember Ruel? The countless times she called me fat! Ugly! A whore! How do you not remember the way she bullied me all through primary school!" I raise my voice with every word. I didn't care that people were staring I didn't care that we were in a public place. They had been together for over 6 months now and I was sick of it.

"NIKKI IS THE REASON I HAD ANOREXIA. NIKKI IS THE REASON I HAVE DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY. SHE BULLIED ME SO BADLY THAT IT FELT LIKE I HAD NOTHING. RUEL YOU WERE THE ONE THING I HAD THROUGH ALL OF THAT AND YOU WERE THE ONE THING SHE DIDN'T HAVE. BUT NOW SHE HAS YOU TOO AND IT FEELS LIKE I HAVE NOTHING LEFT. SHE TOOK MY CONFIDENCE, MY SELF ESTEEM, MY OWN FUCKING BROTHER FOR A LONG ASS TIME AND NOW SHE HAS YOU WRAPPED AROUND HER FINGER. EVERY CHANCE SHE GETS SHE RUBS IT IN MY FACE THAT SHE IS DATING YOU AND THAT SHE MEANS MORE TO YOU THAN I DO. JUST BEFORE SHE KISSED YOU SHE LOOKED AT ME LIKE SHE WON AT LIFE. AND GUESS WHAT? HERE YOU ARE ACTING LIKE SHE IS INNOCENT AND SHE HASN'T DONE ANYTHING WRONG! DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW RUEL? BECAUSE IM FINALLY DONE! IM FINALLY FUCKING DONE!" I screamed that entire thing. Hot tears were streaming down my face. Ruel sat there, shocked and speechless. I shot up and ran out of there. I ran to the car and crouched down behind it. I sat there crying before I heard footstep coming closer. I didn't move I just sat there sobbing. I felt them crouch down next to me.

"Bub, I- I'm so sorry I don't-" he says but I cut him off.

"Stop. Just stop Ruel." I say looking up at him, tears still falling.

"Take me to Luke's house," I say firmly, wiping the tears off my face.

"But your mum wante-"

"I said take me to Luke's house, Ruel." I say even firmer. He just nods and gets into the car. I shortly follow and he starts the car. We drive out of the parking lot and towards Luke's house.

-

We stop out the front of Luke's house I see two cars in the drive. Who else would be here? I have never seen that car before. Maybe it was his friends? I decide not to question it and I hopped out of Ruel's car, not even saying goodbye before slamming the door shut. I walk to the front door step and hear Ruel's car drive off a few seconds later. I knock lightly. Nothing. I ring the door-bell. Nothing. Maybe he wasn't home? There are two cars in the drive way though. I decide to turn the handle and see if it was unlocked. To my surprise, it was. Weird. Luke always locks the door when he gets home. I open the door a little more and peer inside. Luke had quite a bit of money so he had a huge house.

"Hello?" I quietly call out. No response. What is going on? I go down the hall and to the kitchen which connect to the patio and lounge room. He wasn't in either of them. I turn back around and go up the large white stair case. Suddenly, I hear a giggle. It sounded like a girl? No, I'm probably just imagining things. I go straight to Luke's room but I pause outside. I hear it again. The giggle. That wasn't Luke's giggle. It was a girls. And it was coming from inside his room. I flung the door open. I stopped dead in my tracks. This cannot be happening. This isn't happening. There is no way. It must be a nightmare.

"L-luke?" I whisper, tears pooling in my eyes. He suddenly turns around and his eyes meet mine, colour draining from his face as his smile fell.

"Lana, baby. It's not what it looks like," he says standing up. He was wearing only underwear. I scoff.

"Oh so you're not cheating on me with my best friend's girlfriend?" I say filling with anger.

"Okay I guess it is what it looks like but lis-"

"I can't believe you. I expected something like this from her but you? How could you do this to me Luke?" I say the sadness fulling taking over my body again.

"baby please," he says stepping forward grabbing my arm lightly.

"Don't touch me," I say pulling away.

"Don't ever fucking touch me again. Don't ever come near me again. Same goes to you, you fucking slut!" I scream at Nikki and run down the stairs. So many emotions where pumping through me. I run to the front door and fling it open. I run outside and don't stop. My house was at least an hour walk from here. I instantly ran in a direction that would lead me to god knows where. I was hurt. Mentally and physically. I wanted to cry. I wanted to scream. I wanted to run forever yet just lie down and do nothing. I thought I had been broken before, but now I was shattered. I ran. Fast. And there was one place I wanted to go. God knows how long it actually took to get there but it felt like hours. Tears were clouding my vision. My breath was long gone as I had been running so fast. My chest felt heavy and under pressure. I managed to lift my tired arms above my waist and knock on the wooden door. Moment later the door was pulled open. I was a panting crying mess. Why did I come here? I shouldn't have come here. He doesn't need this now.

"Bub, what's wrong? Are you okay?" I heard his voice but it seemed so distant. So far away. So out of reach. That's when I lost it completely. I started to cry uncontrollably before my knees gave in. Luckily he caught me into a hug before I could fall to the ground. I could barely breath. My mind was going a hundred miles an hour and my entire body was aching. Everything hurt. My limbs, my head, my eyes but most of all, my heart. It felt so heavy but so shattered. I just kept crying. Ruel slowly pulled me inside before we sat down on the couch.

"Ruel. Nikki. L-luke." I kept sobbing. The words wouldn't peace together. He needed to know but I couldn't tell him.

"Shhh hey it's okay. You don't need to talk yet. It's okay." He said softly whilst hug me tightly. I cried for probably a solid hour before I could gain any composure. I still felt a few tears trickling down my face but it wasn't enough to stop me from speaking up.

"Ruel," I say quietly.

"Yes love?" he says leaning back so he could see my face but still had his arms around me.

"I need to tell you something." I say simply.

"Okay?" he said sounding concerned.

"I-its nikki. She cheated on you." I said putting my head down again.

"Love I understand you don't like her but there is no need to accuse her of che-"

"Ruel oh my fucking god it has nothing to do with how much I hate her. She cheated on you with Luke! That's right. My fucking Luke! I had to walk in on them smothering each other in his bed! His fucking bed Ruel! I used to sleep in that bed but guess what? She had to have that too! Because that is the kind of person she is. She takes and she takes and NEVER GIVES ANYTHING BACK!" I shout again. Tears were once again falling down my face. I hated when I cried in front of people. God my throat hurt and my eyes where tired. I look over to see Ruel, glossy eyed and in shock. He really had no idea who Nikki really was. I sigh and walk back over to the couch, placing myself next to him again. I wait a few seconds before I straddle his lap and pull him into a hug.

"I'm sorry Ruel, I'm so fucking sorry." I mumble into his neck. His arms slowly snake around my waist and pull me closer, if that was even possible. I felt water fall on my shoulder and it took me minute to realise Ruel was crying. He never cried in front of people, not even me. He hated it and I know he did. His body was shaking and little sobs left his mouth, breaking my heart even more. I started to cry more myself and we just sat holding each other. Not talking. Not moving. Just simply, crying.