Life Hike

I recall walking on a hike with my mother and marveling at all the sights and sounds.
We had been hiking over an hour and the terrain often became steep. Despite this, neither me or my mom tired. We were in awe at the streams, the trees, the cool air and excited to reach the waterfall at the top.
As I walked, however, I often would come across other hikers who did not seem to share the same excitement. They walked past -looking at their feet, trying not to stumble and complaining about being tired. There were many that even passed us and almost immediately turned back without ever reaching the top.
I admittedly felt confused why they did not seem to enjoy the hike as well as we did. I was also confused why they would start the hike and turn back before even finishing.
I pondered this as we reached the waterfall, finding it to be as beautiful as we had expected.
Many played in the water and some others stopped once it was in sight, then immediately started back down.
I noticed the difference between those that enjoyed the hike and those that did not was the focus of the hike itself.
Those who focused on the scenery, the people they were with, and the goal ahead seemed to enjoy the hike the most. They seemed entirely unbothered by the heat, cold, tiredness or thirstiness.
On the flip side, those who watched their feet and focused on how tired they were eventually became frustrated with the hike, began complaining, stumbled often and finally gave up. They did not enjoy the hike and likely regretted ever going in the first place.

So why am I, as a missionary, sharing this?
The reason, is I found it relates to far more than hikes.
Among the many I grew up with in the church, I noticed the same pattern. Those who observed the blessings, kept up their pace and excitedly looked forward to future promises stayed within the gospel and loved every bit of it.
Those who observed the rules, regulations, social pressures and limits quickly became unamused and eventually hateful of the church. They, almost always, left with a bitterness and glared at the covenant path from the sidelines.
Life is supposed to be bearable, and the Gospel of Jesus Christ makes it enjoyable. Unless we focus on why we live the way we live and the blessings that come from it, this joy turns to resentment.
Just like that hike, we need to keep our focus upward and forward, we need to look for the blessings and learn to notice them.

I know that as I have turned my focus to the savior and the blessings he freely gives, my life has been sweeter. The "rules" do not feel like burdens and the culture is no longer stronger than my conversion.
The Gospel of Jesus Christ truly is joyful. It makes life sweet and I know it can bless everyone who is willing to take part in it.