Traumatic Episode

The rest of the school day went by smoothly after that for most everyone. The anticipation for the Tourney match later had everyone excited for the most part. Before the Tourney game, everyone agreed to come to support the team for one reason or another. Carlos was there to cheer on Ben, Gil was there to watch jay, Harry and Uma were there reluctantly for Chad, and the rest were there to support their friends except Evie who seemed more interested in the cheerleaders than the tourney match. It was the Auradon Knights versus the Sherwood Rangers. Originally Chad and Ben were going to be benched for the match due to how new they were to the team but one of the team got the flu and the other was being disciplined with detention so Both Chad and Ben were put into the game.

From the very beginning, the synergy between Jay, Chad, and Ben was evident. They worked well together, and the match moved along steadily. The cheerleaders cheered as the Auradon Knights were out to a great start. Carlos cheering loudly for Ben every time he made a goal or even an attempt. He wasn't the most into sports, but he was going to make sure Ben was cheered for since most of the students weren't cheering for him. Lonnie was really into the game, wanting more aggression and to the coach's dismay she got that wish. Ben checked one of the opposing team too hard and they received a penalty. The objective was given to Sherwood and they scored putting a heavy dent in Auradon's lead. Everything was going better after that for a bit until one of the Rangers taunted Ben leading him to flatten the guy on the next play earning another penalty. This was rare since most teams played by the rules in Auradon so no one was cheering for Ben or the Knights. The Coach called the team in and immediately snapped at Ben, yelling loudly in his face. "Benjamin Beast. I told you to stop being so aggressive with the opposing team. Why don't you listen." Immediately everyone knew something was wrong.

Ben started trembling, his eyes glassy and frightened with a distant look in them. The coach backed off confused. "Ben?" He asked but Ben didn't reply he was gone. In Ben's head he wasn't at the tourney match anymore he was back on the Isle in his father's study standing at attention while his father yelled in his face.

"Benjamin Beast! You worthless disgrace to my name. How many times have I told you to act right? Fix your posture and fix your clothes."

"Sorry father," Ben replied before being popped in the mouth by a large clawed fist making him clutch his mouth in pain.

"I told you never to speak unless I allow you. God forbid you ever be worth something. You are nothing but a disgrace. Don't be such a baby, Man up. You want something to cry about? I'll give you something to cry about." The beast roared in his face. Ben stumbled back falling onto his behind as the Beast lunged down attacking him with claws, ripping his shirt open and leaving flesh torn.

Meanwhile, in reality, Ben was now sitting on the ground with the other players staring at Ben who was whimpering in terror and horror, his eyes filled with tears that threatened to spill. Chad immediately got down smacking one of the teammate's hands away. "Don't touch him!" Chad commanded knowing Ben was having an episode. "If you touch him, he might retaliate. AUDREY!" Chad called out to the cheerleaders and Audrey dropped her pom-poms and sprinted over immediately whispering to Ben softly in his ear but it wasn't working. Usually, Audrey's sweet soothing voice was enough to bring Ben out of it but this was bad.

In Ben's flashback, he was lying beneath his beastly father completely torn up and up weeping with pain. Blood soaked his clothing as his father hoisted him to his feet throwing him out of his stud, bashing him through the door. He roared at Ben. "Look what you made me do. I broke the door, Ben. I swear to god I'll kill you, you worthless piece of shit." The beast charged after Ben who tried to crawl away.

Ben had started to try to crawl away in fear, whimpering in pain. Everyone just stared in horror and concern at the strangely acting tourney player. The entirety of those gathered for the game looked on helplessly as Ben had a Post Traumatic Stress Disorder episode. He wasn't living in the moment but reliving the nightmare of his father's abuse. This happened on occasion when they were on the Isle and Audrey could usually draw him out of the episodes gently but here and now it wasn't working, and Chad and Audrey looked concerned. Thinking quickly Audrey stood up and scanned the bleachers for Carlos before motioning for him to come down. "CARLOS! COME HERE!" Audrey called and Carlos immediately was scrambling down the bleachers to join them. He didn't know what was going on but he looked beyond worried. Audrey pulled Carlos down next to Ben. "Talk to him. Be gentle and quiet. Don't touch him. He isn't hearing me." Carlos nodded confused and concerned his heartbreaking at the look of sheer terror plastered on Ben's face.

"Ben... Ben, it's Carlos. Come back to me. It's okay. You're okay. Ben look at me." Carlos spoke softly and sweetly like a mother comforting a child frightened of a thunderstorm. It took a second before Ben's tearstained face turned to Carlos. He blinked blankly for a second before recognition hit him. Ben was back in the moment, but he was a complete mess. Carlos gently pulled him into his chest as he sobbed. He held Ben to his chest soothingly rubbing his back and shushing him very softly. Audrey and Chad looked extremely concerned. Even Lonnie up in the stands was fretting. This was the first time they couldn't bring Ben back with just one of them. It was also the first time they had seen him break down afterward. Usually Ben would immediately steel himself, but he was a wreck now. Carlos just sat and held him as Audrey motioned for the cheerleaders to start back up as a distraction. The teams went back to the game without Ben.

Ben and Carlos sat on the bench with Carlos holding Ben who still was recovering from his episode. The Coach had apologized profusely for yelling at him not knowing that it would cause the reaction it did. Ben nodded as if accepting it, but he held tight to Carlos. "Ben, what happened? What were you seeing?" Carlos asked softly and Ben told him, telling him exactly what he had relived much to Carlos's horror. He knew Ben's father was a beast but that broke his heart. Carlos squeezed Ben tight comforting him. Before long Ben was fully calmed down and put back in the game much to Chad and Carlos's protests. The Auradon Knights ended up winning with Ben and Jay scoring the winning goal. Everyone cheered for Ben and hoisted him up on their shoulders chanting his name. Ben didn't seem to enjoy it as much as he probably should. Once they put him down everyone was starting to leave the tourney match. The team was going to hit the showers and clean up but Ben went to Carlos immediately pulling him into a loving kiss. Carlos made him feel safe, he was a reminder that Ben was in Auradon. Carlos happily kissed him back, eager to comfort his still somewhat distraught boyfriend.

"Can you with me while I shower? I don't want to be alone." Ben begged, seeming desperate to have Carlos near. To his relief, he agreed, and they went into the locker room. Carlos kept his eyes on the floor not daring to look up. Ben grabbed a towel and Carlos waited next to the shower stall that Ben was in. He took a small peek in to check on Ben. He was washing his face of more tears. Ben was taking this episode pretty hard and Carlos felt helpless. He knew he was comforting to Ben but there was nothing he could do to make those memories go away, to take away the pain. After he was showered and dressed, they went back to Carlos's dorm for the night, Ben didn't say another word for the rest of the night just curled up in Carlos's comforting embrace and blocked everything out. Audrey, Chad, Lonnie and the rest had stopped by to check on Ben but he was still out of it, almost zoned out not entirely living in the moment. It took Carlos constantly whispering for him to come back for Ben not to disconnect from reality. It was a rough night and Carlos hoped dinner with his mother tomorrow would raise Ben's spirits.