Crushing Revelation

Carlos cut his computer and tech club short for the day to scurry off to the tourney field to watch the team, really just Ben, practice. The cheerleaders were out practicing too and Audrey notices Carlos sitting alone on the bleachers. She took a quick break from practice and walked up the bleachers to plop down next to Carlos smiling. "What are you doing out here? I didn't take you much of one to watch tourney practice." Audrey kept her sweet smile despite wanting to smirk wickedly knowing he was here to see Ben practice. Audrey wasn't confused about her feelings. She also wasn't as oblivious as Ben was. She could see his eyes tracking Ben charging across the field.

"I... uh... just wanted to get some fresh air and figured I'd watch the cheerleaders and tourney players practice." Carlos lied smiling back at her sheepishly. Audrey tilted her head a bit shrugging innocently, yet not being innocent at all.

"Oh? I thought you were here to watch Ben's practice... That's disappointing. I'm sure he would be happy to know you were out here to watch him practice." Audrey wound the innocent act up like it was second nature. She was quite convincing to the point Carlos flushed and looked quite surprised.

"You think so? He seems like he doesn't like me one minute and the next he is trying to be my friend. I don't get it. It's so confusing and it makes things harder." Carlos sighs looking out at the field watch Ben flatten a guy to the ground in the process of getting the objective to the goal. Audrey grows more serious, showing her concern.

"Makes what things harder?" Audrey pries sweetly and Carlos practically glows red with the intensity of his blush looking at her embarrassed. Like taking candy from a baby, she thought to herself. These Auradon kids are so easy to pry open and pick apart, she continued to herself.

"Well... promise you won't tell anyone." Carlos looked at her seriously and nervous, his hands fidgeting with one another. This clearly was stressing the poor guy out and she couldn't resist pitying him. If he only knew... Instead, she put a gentle hand on his leg and nodded with her most caring and sweet expression.

"I promise. Our little secret." A well-rehearsed line that worked millions of times even on the isle. Carlos seemed to appraise her to see if she was genuine before seeming to believe her. Inside she had to laugh at how trusting he was. She barely had to work him up and he was ready to spill. She already had an idea what this was about but she needed confirmation. With Ben's recent internal conflict over Carlos, It was her place not only as his right hand in the gang but as his best friend to make sure he wasn't getting set up for heartbreak. Ben didn't deserve anymore hurt after the hell he was raised in, none of the gang did really. So she was going to get her information one way or another. She had her own heart to worry about too but for now, she could put that aside to worry about Ben. To do so meant worrying about Carlos.

"Well, I sort of have a thing for Ben..." Carlos admitted, and Audrey gave him a look and he fidgeted looking away embarrassed. "Okay, okay, I have a really massive crush on him, and I think I'm falling in love with him. I know deep down he isn't evil, and I just can't help myself." Carlos looked a little defeated sighing heavily as he shifted on the bleacher. "It doesn't matter, Ben probably doesn't look at me like that. He is taking me to the dance because he has to not because he wants to, I don't think." His head had fallen, and Audrey took his hand comfortingly the way she would take Ben's hand to reassure him.

"I know Ben seems like a big old beast at times, but I think once you get past that you might fight what you are looking for. Don't give up okay. Ben isn't straight, I can promise you that much. You do need to realize however that Ben has no idea what love really feels like as far as I know. Even when He and I tried dating once it was only friendship, never love. I mean I do love him like a brother, but his heart has always been cold. I don't think he knows entirely how to use it. Do you know what I mean? So don't give up, he has a lot to figure out. Coming to Auradon has really been hard on him." Audrey wouldn't be sharing any of this if she didn't feel it was necessary. The last thing Ben needs is for Carlos to give up on him because of how cold and mean he is on the outside. Carlos soaked in every word that she offered nodding as she went.

"I didn't realize he had it so hard. I knew you guys had it rough on the Isle, but I figured coming here would be like heaven to you guys. I wanted to start a program for the innocent youth of the isle because I know you guys didn't commit the crimes your parents did. You deserve a chance. I get it now; things are different and it's like culture shock right. I've stupidly been thinking that everything was great to you guys here." Carlos seems to be beating himself inside for not realizing sooner. The day he claimed him as territory made sense now. Claiming territory on the Isle was normal so now he can't and it's strange to him. The pieces were starting to click but then all he could think about was Ben's scarred back. "Was his dad really that bad. I saw the scars but... did he really do that to his own son?" Carlos sounded pained by the very thought and Audrey tensed at the thought, remembering the times the beast has hit her too.

"The beast is the worst villain on the Isle for a reason Carlos. He is evil and he hurts anyone and everyone he can. Ben had to live with that. A man with a hair-trigger who expected perfection. He always used to talk about wanting to come to Auradon just to get away from his father. I think he is terrified of getting sent back. So whatever you do... please don't send him back. "Audrey was serious and sincere, her usual toying and coyness were gone in favor of honesty. Carlos seemed sobered by this nodding.

"Of course. I'd never send him back if I could help it. "Carlos looked out at Ben as the teams had finished up practice. Ben caught sight of Audrey and Carlos and started walking over. Audrey got up smiling.

"Go get him, tiger." She winked at Carlos and started descending the bleachers to meet Ben at the bottom. He gave her a questioning look as she motioned at Carlos. "Looks like you have a fan. He came to watch you practice." She said quietly and Ben blinked at her a little surprised. "Play nice." She adds before running to catch up with the other cheerleaders. Ben ascends the bleachers and sits where Audrey was sat looking at Carlos.

"You came to watch me practice?" Ben asks bluntly and Carlos fights everything in him to stop from blushing embarrassed. Carlos looked up at Ben and bit his lip nodding. Looking back down at him, he furrows his brows a bit. He can't help but feel this urge to lean into him. Why? Why does he always want to be close to Carlos? Why couldn't he figure this out? He let out a growl of frustration not meaning to and Carlos flinched. Ben sighed heavily. "Sorry. I'm, just... thinking." He chooses his words very carefully and Carlos nods with understanding.

"Is something bothering you? You can talk to me, Ben. It's just us and I would never tell anyone." Carlos put his hand comfortingly on Ben's hand a little nervously. He took a deep breath and looked back at Carlos seriously. How do you tell someone that it is them that's bothering you?

"I just... there's this person that I keep thinking about. My instinct is to do my normal routine with them but my inner beast doesn't like it you know. It only likes when I'm nice to them and it confuses me because I don't know why I always want to be close to them. I keep trying to think it over and I can't figure it out." Ben skillfully avoids using anything other than they/them pronouns, so Carlos hopefully doesn't guess who it is. Carlos thinks for a moment remembering what Audrey told him.

"Ben... does being around this person make you feel happy?" Carlos asks cautiously and Ben thinks about it. He does feel a sense of comfort around Carlos, something akin to safety. He doesn't exactly think of it as happy but in a way it does.

"Maybe? I'm not sure... why?" Ben focuses on Carlos intently. He takes a shaky breath and squeezes Ben's hand attempting to comfort him.

"Ben have you ever had a crush on someone before?" Carlos asked gently and the wheels in Ben's head started turning. A crush? He immediately started looking back through his past wondering if he really had ever had a crush on someone. Now thinking about it, no he hadn't. What was having a crush like? The fact that he didn't know spoke volumes. Ben just shook his head "no" looking away trying to hide his embarrassment. Carlos took his hand in his trying to hide his own pain at the idea that Ben might have a crush on someone else.

"It sounds to me like maybe your beast is trying to tell you that you like this person. That you have a crush on them or are falling in love with them." Carlos supplies and Ben just stares at the tourney field. A Crush? On Carlos? He looks back at Carlos with a sigh. Inside he knows Carlos is probably right but his mind wants to deny it so bad but his beast is practically vibrating with excitement. He could feel how right it was and that posed another problem. What does he do about it? He has been nothing but intimidating to Carlos, so he thinks, so far. Would he even like Ben like that? Ben quickly dismisses that thinking and nods.

"I need to think about this and I really need a shower. I'll talk to you later, okay? Text me..." Ben gets up and heads to the shower room, more problems and concerns filling his head than before.