Territorial

By the morning all of the kindness that Carlos had seen in Ben the night before was gone like a dream. He knew it happened but, in the morning, Ben nearly knocked him over shoving past rudely on his way to class. Carlos didn't take it personally; he was doing it to anyone in his way, but it still sucked. He thought that maybe he and Ben could be friends but that seemed to be a misunderstanding. So Carlos headed to class and Ben went as well.

The entire first-class Ben was paying attention, fidgeting with his pencil needing some sort of release, his beast felt cooped up and needed to run or go for a walk. He needed space and the classroom felt cramped to him even if it wasn't. He liked being outside and enjoying the freedom and beautiful scenery of Auradon even if he never would show it on the outside. From then on Class after class until lunch he was hyper-focused on what they were learning and would growl when he heard whispers about him from other students making them shut up. Ben didn't care about making friends. He had his gang and that was all he needed.

Lunchtime finally rolled around on their first day and Ben immediately grabbed as much food as he was allowed and went for a table outside. It was a beautiful day outside and the fresh air settled his inner beast in a comforting way. He still felt pent up with energy but at least he didn't feel cooped up for now either. He sat and quickly dug into his food finishing it like a starved animal despite the eyes it drew to him. As the other gang members found their way to his table they ate in a very similar fashion, rushed and hungry as if they didn't usually have food to eat or if they waited too long someone would come and steal the food off their plate. Evie was the first person who wasn't part of the gang to approach the table.

"Hey, guys. Can I sit with you?" Evie smiled and all four of them looked at her like she had suggested something disgusting. She just chuckled awkwardly and scooted in to sit next to Audrey who was the only one who seemed to be willing to accommodate. "So how has your first day been so far?"

"Dude, it's school. It sucks." Chad said eyeing Jay as he walked over and sat beside him joining the table without asking. No one commented on it, Jay just started eating quietly. "None of the professors have threatened me yet and people won't shut up about us. I don't mind being the center of attention, but it isn't even stuff worth whispering about." Chad shrugs stealing a fry off of Jay's tray sneakily.

"Of course you love the attention Chad, when don't you. I'm sure your boyfriend and girlfriend on the isle are gonna miss you." Lonnie teased seeming to take the wind out of his sails making him look a little deflated.

"We broke up because I don't know when I'll be back and I don't want to be tied down. You know I need constant... attention." Chad smirked winking at Evie who laughed nervously. Audrey gave Chad a look that screams 'back off'.

"When he says attention, he means sex," Audrey said disgusted not wanting to imagine the things Chad gets up to in whoever's bedroom. Admittedly she had tried to date Chad at one point too but that quickly fell through as she doesn't like sharing and Chad is all about his three-way relationships. They did consider a Ben, Audrey, and Chad relationship but frankly Ben just isn't into Chad that way. He doesn't mind the idea of dating a guy though, never really did.

"Good luck with that..." Evie commented awkwardly, not used to anyone being so blunt about their needs. It was rather off-putting for her frankly which didn't really surprise Audrey. Evie seemed like a really good girl so it wasn't much to imagine that she wouldn't be interested in that kind of subject per se. Mal came and sat next to Lonnie across from Evie. She twirled her apple, trading Evie for her strawberries. Everyone seemed to splinter off into conversations. Chad and Jay were talking about fencing practice. Evie, Mal, and Audrey were talking about makeup and cute guys and girls. Lonnie and Ben were both silent until Ben saw something that made his inner beast growl loudly silencing the table.

Across the courtyard Carlos was being toyed with by a bunch of jocks. They were clearly big tourney players holding Carlos's lunch above his head making fun of his height. Carlos wasn't incredibly short but he was shorter than some guys, shorter than Ben at least. Everyone seemed to follow Ben's eyes and Mal was going to get up when Ben beat her to it. Within seconds he had gotten up from the table and sprinted over to the guys. Carlos saw Ben and went bright red as Ben grabbed the tray, shoved it into Carlos's hands before launching onto the guy who was holding it and started roughing him up. Nothing serious but a major warning.

"Mess with him again and I'll personally knock your damn teeth in. Got it?" Ben growled loudly spooking the jocks. "I SAID GOT IT?" Ben roared practically, making the jocks nod and scurry away in fear. He turned to Carlos triumphantly who looked bright red. Ben had just come to his rescue like a hero. It took everything in him not to swoon. He already had a major crush developing on Ben but this solidified it. He didn't get to enjoy the moment long before being grabbed and jerked across the courtyard over to the group's lunch table and forcibly sat down by Ben. He then preceded to steal Carlos's apple and acted as if nothing happened.

"Thanks, Ben." Carlos squeaked out starting to eat his lunch but Ben laughed wickedly.

"Don't thank me. You're my play toy. If anyone is going to make your life rough, it'll be me. I don't like people infringing on my territory." Ben took a big bite of the apple and flashed Carlos a dangerous smirk that made him recoil a bit. Carlos felt weak and looked fearful of Ben for a moment. This seemed to satisfy Ben but his beast still growled at him for it. He didn't know why still. The other gang members all seem to understand what Ben means but everyone else is confused.

"Carlos is your... territory?" Mal asked genuinely confused and with a little attitude. Ben nods like it makes sense but frankly that clarifies nothing.

"On the isle, people and areas are deemed territory, you claim them. The stronger ones hold their territory to do with whatever they want. We had the biggest territory on the Isle, and the most people under it too. Ben is just claiming Carlos as his territory. Basically, he chose Carlos to do with whatever he wants." Audrey explained and everyone seemed to understand but this only seemed to piss Mal off.

"Carlos isn't property though. You can't claim him like that." She spat at Ben who growled at her.

"I'll claim whatever I want Mal. If you have a problem we can settle it right here and now." Ben starts to get up and Audrey grabs him sitting him back down.

"Ben, stop. They clearly don't do things that way here and they don't understand." Audrey warns and Ben growls disobediently.

"He is still mine. I claim him." Ben demands and Audrey groans. Mal goes to protest but Carlos puts up his hand.

"It's fine Mal. Just let him claim me... I don't mind." Carlos is as red in the face as rubies and he can't help but replay Ben saying Carlos is his in his head. Carlos didn't mind the idea of being Ben's that was for certain. Mal didn't want to let it go but eventually gave up at Carlos's insistence. For now Carlos was claimed as territory for the Beast gang, specifically for Ben.