CHAPTER 38

A/n: So not edited... as always lol

Chapter 38 – Chris POV

There were no words. This entire hellish nightmare was – was fucking surreal. None of this… it just couldn’t be happening. But it was. I couldn’t understand what Kayla was saying, ‘I let them take the babies.’ I didn’t understand. What was she trying to say? Why did she think she was bad? Nico, she said his name… why did she say his name?

Chaos was blanketing over us in this room all I saw were blue eye, wide blue eyes belonging to my Kayla. Tears I saw them too. Shaking, crying, silent body shaking sobs. A loud crash broke this connection, made me pull my gaze from her, sweeping taking everything in but stopping on my family. Nico, Lucy, mom and dad.

Bailey, Michael, Keith and Cole were shaking, stepping backwards, huddled together, their smiling faces when their sister spoke gone. The lightness that had been there? Gone and replaced with fear. It wasn’t silent, no I had just been blocking out the sound and that crash removed the trance I was in.

A louder bang than the crash sounded, my head whipped to the door where Masen and the vampire Sebastian now stood… blocking the exit.

“Oh god Nico… no… no… no…” Lucy mumbled stepping backwards from Nico, each move he made to get closer to her. She backed off, until her back was against my fathers’ chest, her sad but dad angry, glaring at Nico.

“No, Luce, I swear I have no idea what she’s talking about,” he said louder than a regular indoors voice, but not quite yelling.

“The fuck she would Nico! Why would Kayla lie? Huh? How could be so fucking stupid!?” Logan seethed, “you all come and she goes mute,” that last part loathed in self-hatred.

Kayla.

She was the important one, I turned back to her as she tensed, fear in her eyes, “Mom take the boys back to the sleep area,” I ordered and quickly she shuffled her way over to them, guiding them. But when they saw Kayla wasn’t going, I saw dread and pure terror in Bailey’s eyes.

“She’s not in trouble, no one is going to hurt her,” I said loudly, but he didn’t look convinced at all. Finally getting my wits, I knelt down near Kayla, prying the poster board from her grips, carefully not to hurt her already fragile bones. Behind me I heard mom speaking softly to the boys, giving them more reassurance while I dealt with Kayla.

“How – babies Nico…” Lucy sobbed, and my heart was breaking for her, but I did see that she didn’t dismiss what Kayla had said.

“NO! It could just be someone that has my name – that could be the thing. You – you know me Luce… I – I would never, ever hurt a child or take part in what happened to them,” Nico replied, and I heard growling but I stayed focused on my daughter.

“You’re so brave sweetheart,” I whispered, wanting her to focus on me again instead of the disaster behind me.

“Shut the fuck up!” Logan roared, which was followed by a scraping noise. “Sit.”