CHAPTER 2

Chapter Two- Rescued (part two)

“P-P-Please do n-not hurt us…” I said shakily looking into his eyes.

“Mason. My name is Mason, what is your name?” He replied pity, sadness and honesty showing clearly in his eyes.

“Ok. Mason… Please do not hurt us… oh and-d my n-name is Rainella.”

He began walking and leading us towards a black windowless van and my heart completely dropped. We were in the middle of nowhere; I couldn’t run away, not with my children. All running would do is increase the amount of pain we would feel later.

“I’m not going to hurt you. I swear. I did not know how many of you there would be so I brought this.

Dread still filled my stomach. But he continued quickly with his speech.

“I over heard the man speaking on the phone and he was not aware I could hear both sides of the conversations. I was able to pick up that he had boys and girls, also inquiring about their particular age.” He said.

“It all sounded too fishy when he mention that he did not have any boys that were older than 9 years old. The person he was speaking too replied, “that’s fine I don’t like them too old anyways.” So I left before he could and went to my car and waited. I planned to follow him.”

Not wanting to hear more of what were starting to feel like lies I thought of something and interrupted “It’s really cold out here for Southern California.” I stated. The quickly asked, “W-What year is it?”

“We are in Michigan, not California… and it is October 10th 2014."

I was 21 years old. He had taken me when I was 11 years old just days after my first shift and being down in that place, no window or view of the outside I had lost track of time. Sorrow filled my heart at knowing that I had spent half of my life as a prisoner and I didn’t know what would come next as my children and I were led to Masons’ van.

I couldn’t concentrate and knew that I should because our lives depended on it but my body was wired, broken and confused all at the same time. My mind was racing, questions flying left and right, it was hard to focus but I needed to try. Keep my mind in the here and now, it was hard but as I tried to steady my focus things just didn’t add up.

Overheard a conversation and that lead to a rescue?

I wondered why he was so invested and doing all of this and why he didn’t just call the cops but soon my random thoughts would be answered.

Reading my face and seeing my skeptical facial expressions…  yeah I did not buy it and he knew it too. He nodded his head and began walking again.

My body was in pain, my feet and ankle hurt and I knew that I might very well regret this but I nodded my head and began to walk towards the van. He placed my sons on the ground and opened the door then put them in.  My children following Mason and I, getting in slowly mostly quiet except for Kayla who was in the most pain, her brothers on either side of her body.