CHAPTER 3

Chapter Three- Up In The Air

Rainella POV

I rested my head on the window and noticed that as we drove out on what was a bumpy dirt road a car was following. Did Mason have someone with him?

When we made a left onto a paved road a car that seemed to be parked awaiting our exit flashed headlights and began following us as well as the car that had been following us.  Oh god I knew this was too good to last… Mason had lied.

“What’s the matter Rainella?”

“Please don’t separate us.” I whimpered.

“I’m not going to,” he replied quickly.

Yeah, right… we really were just switching locations in hell.

I remained quiet just watching the scenery turn from wooded area to city limits, my heart feeling as if it was ready to beat right out of my chest, if that were possible. Every once in a while I would look over my neck at the kids, trying to be brave just to keep Bailey and Michael reassured.

Focusing back on the road I saw that we were headed towards Waterford, Michigan then closed my eyes.

We had been driving for what seemed forever when I felt the car pull to a stop and forced my eyes open, fatigue finally settling in but was easily pushed aside to make sure I kept us together. Soon a woman was opening my door from the outside, which was startling to me because it had been 10 years since I saw another woman. She smiled gently towards me and was helping step out while 3 men and 3 more women began lifting my children, assisting Bailey and Michael since they were still holding Nicole and Michelle. We were all being escorted to a plane; I finally noticed that we were on a tarmac entering what I realized was a private jet once I stepped inside. The individuals holding my children started to rest them on individual seats, buckling them up swiftly gathering pillows and blankets to make them comfortable.

The two men who carried sleeping, Cole and Keith left thru the door, Bailey and Michael placed Michelle and Nicole on either side of the couch I was seated on, then sat themselves. I could see their eyes dancing with questions, looking at every new item they had never seen in their lives but remaining silent still. Everyone was moving so quickly that it was hard to concentrate on one single thing “okay that’s everything,” I heard; suddenly those who had helped carry the children, Mason including the women all boarded the plane started securing their seatbelts. I watched someone yank the aircraft door shut properly while Mason who sat across from me concentrated on my face and asked something I also thought I would never hear again.

“Ready to go home Rainella?”

And I imagine my face must have been 3 different shades of shocked.

“Home?” I whispered.

“Yeah… California…Home…"

“Overheard a conversation, huh?” I heard a few chuckles.

I turned to glance out of the window and we were just about to take off, I returned my gaze to Mason as we took off. 

We needed to talk. I had questions.