The Pain

I kissed Liam sweetly on his lips and he smiled through the kiss. It was a very early morning and Liam disappeared into the morning darkness, accompanied by Jonathan and Kaiden. I waved after them and then went back into the house.

After a night of survival, Liam decided to take Jon and Kaiden and go ask for volunteers to help him with the protection. Hopefully maybe one of the smaller packs would agree on even joining our pack temporarily.

I made my way into the kitchen, where Ivy sat behind the counter, drinking coffee. "What are you doing up already?" I asked happily and sat next to her. My steaming cup of tea was already waiting for me on the counter.

"I couldn't sleep," she admitted and sat the mug down. "I'm afraid."

"I know you are. I am too," I answered her and bit my lip. The rogues could attack Liam right now, or they could use the opportunity of the pack being without their Alpha to attack. We know it is all very risky, but we need to do something.

"What if we don't get help?" Ivy asked worriedly and I chewed nervously on the inside of my cheek.

"We will," I assured her. "We have to," I added in a whisper and dropped my head against the cool counter. Ivy frowned and placed her hand on my back.

**

Luna, what will we make for dinner?

Luna, there's a fight breaking out.

Luna, luna, luna.

I flinched at all the voices begging for my attention and groaned. The demands kept growing and coming on. No one noticed other's complaining either, but they all just complained. I took a deep breath and tried to compose my mind enough to answer them all.

I think it's a soup day. Let the fighters fight on, settle their argument, but seperate them if they are going to kill each other. I think blue is good enough. I don't know, Liam hasn't contacted me.

Ivy looked at me across the table and raised her perfectly plucked eyebrow. "Fight on? Seriously?"

"Do you want me to run to every fight. This is a big enough pack to have a fight going on every minute, Ivy," I told her jokingly. A sharp pain pierced through my brain and I shut my eyes tight, clutching the table in shock.

"Kathryn?" Ivy asked with worry. I hissed in pain, but it was gone as suddenly as it came. "What was that?"

I groaned, looking around the study that seemed to go round and round, making me dizzy. "I-I don't know." My entire body suddenly felt very heavy and hot. It hurt to even breathe and I let out shallow breaths. "Ivy?"

"Yes, Kathryn?" she asked hastily.

"Call Grace and Alexander." I took another sharp breath and threw my head back in pain. I cut all connections to the pack mind-link, not being able to take it all. 

My body's temperature rose, I could feel it, and I felt like I couldn't take any of it. My lungs felt too heavy for me to move them at all. The ringing in my ears prevented me from hearing the door open, but moments later hands were on my shoulder.

"Kathryn!" Grace called and I forced my eyes open. Tears clouded my vision. "What's wrong, sweetheart?" she asked shakily.

"A-Alexander, can you take over?" I asked barely audible.

"Of course, of course," the man answered, staring at me in shock from the doorway.

"Ivy and G-Grace, can you lift me? Take me to my bedroom," I ordered, grinding my teeth together harshly when another pain rippled through. I felt their arms on me and I was lifted from the seat. 

Everything was a huge mix of colors and it was all very blurry. Tears silently ran down my cheeks and I wouldn't make any sound. I didn't hear anything else, but I felt the silky soft covers touch my heated body. I threw myself on my stomach and gripped the sheets with my nails.

"We need to tell Liam." It seemed like a distant voice saying that, but I heard it.

"No!" I growled. I knew what was happening and I needed him, but I can't let him come here. We need him to get help for the pack's sake.

"Oh Kathryn, what's going on?" Grace asked worriedly.

"C-Call Eve and have him bring Michael," I ordered silently before shutting my lips tightly again so no sound would escape me. I desperately gasped for air and gripped the sheets tighter. There was a rippling sound and the sheets beneath me shred to pieces.

"Kathryn!" Ivy claimed in surprise. "Eve is coming," she tried to say.

"I-I need Michael," I whimpered and flipped myself on my back again. In a moment of break, when the pain was gone, I took a few deeper breaths. Grace was eyeing me in worry.

"What's going on child?" she asked and reached out to touch me, but I shook my head.

"I don't understand. Why now?" I whimpered. Another wave of pain rushed through me and I yelped.

Kathryn, we need mate! my wolf whined.

No! I argued back and arched my back in pain.

"You're in heat, aren't you?" Grace gasped. I shut my eyes tighter and nodded tightly. "Oh my. Why is it causing so much pain?" she asked desperately.

"I always get this," I whimpered and fell limp on the shredden sheets. 

The door opened and a new scent hit me. I opened my eyes instantly and looked at Michael, who was holding his mother's hand.

"That won't help for much," Grace warned me.

"I'm aware," I announced taking a few deeper breaths, before giving a pained smile. "Michael," I called. He smiled and let go of his mother's hand, running over to me. I lifted him onto the bed and hugged him tightly. I inhaled his scent. 

As another pain hit, I bit my lip until it bled, all so I wouldn't scare Michael and I tried my hardest not to squeeze him too hard. His presence helped only a little. The longer I held him, the longer were the breaks before pain. Eve understood and she sat by, watching over me and Michael.

Half an hour later, which seemed more like years, the pain got worse, no matter how close I held Michael. I let go of him hastily and Eve quickly pulled him away. I threw my head back and cried out in pain. Everyone in the room kept away from me. Grace had opened the window to let  cold November air in, but it wasn't helping. 

My body kept only heating up and the pain got too much. "M-Make it stop," I cried out.

"Kathryn, what do you want us to do?" Grace asked softly, but her voice was strained.

"G-Get. Someone. A-Anyone," I cried out and rolled over onto my stomach.

"Liam. We'll get Liam," Ivy claimed.

"No," I snarled. 

"Kathryn, if your temperature keeps rising, you'll die at this rate," Grace claimed. I bit my lip harshly, tasting the rusty tasting blood.

"W-What's the time?"

"5:46," Eve answered from a distance where she held her son, away from me. This has lasted for about an hour. I can hold on more.

"G-Give it until seven," I ordered. Ivy growled.

"Fuck no, I'm not going to watch you suffer like this," she hissed.

I took a deep breath, before arching my back in pain and letting out a scream. Grace placed a wet towel from the bathroom on my forehead. It didn't make a difference though and I shook it off. I tried to catch my breath, but it was hard to do.

Kathryn! I'm on my way. I'm coming home! 

Liam.