Rotten

The next morning I woke up and finally I saw Liam sleeping next to me as well. I hadn't however woken up on my own, instead, someone shook me open. I opened my eyes and stared at Ivy, waiting for her to continue.

"We'll sing him awake," Ivy spoke. I frowned at the use of the word 'we' and then noticed more people in the room. Behind Ivy was Grace and beside Grace was a man I hadn't yet met before. I assumend it was Liam's and Ivy's father. The man stared at me with a sharp look and stayed silent. I just stood up from the bed, careful not to move too much. Good idea that I had decided to wear pajamas last night, not just go to sleep in my underwear again.

The four of us stood around the bed. I was standing behind his back, on the other side of the bed where I had woken up.

Grace began the song and we all followed her lead. It was a simple 'Happy Birthday' song.

"Happy birthday to you." Liam shifted slightly.

"Happy birthday to you." He rolled on his back with a small groan.

"Happy birthday, dear Liam. Happy birthday to you." His eyes finally opened and he looked around sleepily.

"I thought I said we'd end this tradition in my case already a year ago," he mumbled and sat up, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.

"It's a family tradition, darling son," Grace insisted and sat on the edge of the bed.

"It was more effective when I was still ten," Liam argued but he smiled at his parents. "Thank you."

Ivy grinned and jumped in place. "Good! Now get dressed, there's breakfast down the stairs," she giggled and grabbed the hands of her parents, dragging them out. I gazed after them.

"Do your parents live in the house? I've never seen your father for instance," I asked, still staring at the closed door they had disappeared through.

"No. After I took over, they wanted to escape from here. They live in one of the cottages," Liam answered sleepily. I nodded and looked onto the floor. His fingers wrapped around my wrist and he pulled me down suddenly, so I landed on his chest. His breathing didn't even quiver from the blow. Impressive. He had against laid down after his parents left.

I tried to make myself comfortable where he kept me but the only way to do that successfully was by straddling him and I was going to give him that satisfaction just yet. He gazed at me with those stormy grey eyes and I felt myself go weak from the power they had over me.

"So. Will I get a gift from you too?"

I tilted my head to the side in confusion. "A gift?"

He smiled secretly and I instantly knew where this was going. The question he had asked before, but he now changed it a little bit. Instead of asking if I wanted him to kiss me, he asked: "Can I please kiss you?"

I licked my lips staring at him. He had kissed my neck multiple times. I still hadn't realized why he hadn't just kissed me and was asking for permission. Why was that kiss any more special than those kisses he plants on my skin? I knew I wouldn't figure it out on my own, so I decided to ask him.

"Why are you asking me permission to kiss me? You've kissed my skin multiple times, I don't see how it is more special or anything," I mumbled and looked down. He just chuckled.

"Kissing your skin is nothing compared to kissing your lips, Kathryn," he said and I felt happiness in the pit of my stomach from him using my name like that. "Kissing your skin does give me a sense of pleasure, but it's so brief. Not like kissing your lips. That's more... intimate."