Dip the Balance.

Now, someone needs to hold me while I cry tears of happiness. Never have I imagined waking up to ~200 notifications from you guys! I love you all so much! Thank you :) You make my day, every day.

"Kathryn?" I groaned and opened my eyes, looking at Ivy who stood next to the bed, completely awake. Last night, she let me fall asleep on her bed without hesitation. 

"Yes?" I asked and sat up, letting the quilt I slept with fall from around me. I wore the clothes I wore yesterday.

"I'm going downstairs to get breakfast. Do you want to come with me or do you want me to bring you something?" she asked and sat on the edge of the bed. I didn't want to see Liam, although my heart ached for him. I didn't want to know how angry he was with me.

"Do you know where Liam is?" I asked and looked up.

"He's downstairs already," Ivy let me know. "He checked up on you last night after you had fallen asleep."

I was shocked. "He was here?"

Ivy nodded and frowned. "He was worried... and angry. What happened last night, Kathryn? You came here, a total wreck!"

I pushed the quilt off of my legs and swung them over the edge of the bed. "I told him I didn't want to join this pack."

"Oh yeah, that would make him angry indeed. Did you tell him why?"

I nodded. "And then he said he outrank me, I said we're equal, he got even more angry and I came here." I looked onto the floor. "I think I'll go back to our room and fix myself up before coming down the stairs."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive. I'll see you later," I said and gave her a weak smile that wouldn't fool anyone. I then rose and walked out of the room. I could hear Liam talking to his parents down the stairs at the dining room. It only made my heart clench and I hurried to get to our bedroom.

As soon as I got there, I closed the door and escaped to the bathroom. I felt like I was being chased and my heart thud loudly. It's the kind of a feeling you get when you have to turn the lights off and run up the stairs or something like that. The feeling like monsters hide in the darkness.

I peeled off my clothes and dumped them into the dirty clothes bin. The water this morning seemed very relaxing and comforting. For some time I just stood there, feeling each droplet of water. I felt them all.

The shower curtain was very suddenly drawn back and I snapped my eyes open. "What the fuck, Liam?!" I gasped and shivered as his eyes studied me. I wasn't going to hide anything really. There's nothing he hasn't seen. As pissed as I was with him, my stomach stirred with excitement.

He stayed quiet, just unbuttoned his shirt and pants and dropped them onto the floor, along with his socks and shoes. He only left on his black boxers. I backed away from him as he stepped under the shower as well and drew the curtains around us.

"W-What are you d-doing?" I stuttered and closed my eyes tightly. He pulled me to his chest by his hands and I shivered, back under the hot water.

"At least here you won't run from me," he said and took the white shower sponge with already soap on it and wrapped his arms around my waist, beginning to scrub my skin. I was still stiff against his body and he sighed. "I'm sorry, Kitten." I shivered when he used that nickname again.

I bit my lip and wrapped my fingers around his arm to stop it. I turned around to face him. "For what?" Now I noticed what a mess he really was. His hair, which was now damp with water, had been messy and unmade already before he stepped under the water. His grey eyes were dull and his lips pale.

"You're right. We are equal," he spoke and pulled me closer against him. I couldn't really fight his strength either, nor did I want to.

"Are you going to tell me why you kill packs like that?" I asked and he frowned, but his eyes never left mine.

"This pack has never known of anything else besides taking what they want. It has always been like this. Father's taught their sons to kill and steal, and their sons taught their children. Women just stayed back, took care of home, food, children," he spoke.

"Liam, that isn't an excuse," I sighed and dropped my eyes to look at the little space between us.

"I know, Kathryn. I'm sorry. I probably don't really even have an excuse. All I can tell you is that I've been influenced by my father to be like this, ever since I was young. To take what I want, because there is no other way to do it. To kill without regrets, anyone that stands in my way of getting something," he said. His voice sounded so frail, hurt.

"Why Adam? He was just a young boy." 

He placed a finger beneath my chin and made me look into his eyes again. "He was the Alpha's son. He was an Alpha himself as well, he was a danger for this pack. If he grew up and found out who had killed his pack, he would have come to get revenge. I'm sorry, Kathryn," he whispered.

"I can't do that, Liam. I can't and I never want to have to teach my children that," I whispered. 

"I know, baby. That's why I spent the whole night talking to my men," he said. I looked at him in shock.

"What?"

"Apparently, most of my men regret killing everyone they ever have. Some say it was a necessary thing to do, but they only did it because I ordered them to," he spoke softly and looked at me expectantly. "Kathryn, we're gonna stop doing it. We'll find another way. Most packs do, we can too."

"R-Really?"

"We should have done it a long time ago, but I guess we needed someone to dip the balance onto the change side. You did it," he whispered and I wrapped my arms around his neck. He hugged me back, wrapping his strong arms around my waist.

"Thank you, Liam. Thank you, so much," I whispered and he kissed my wet cheek.