Boysenberry

"Stupid brother of mine!" Maria told her brother as she wiped her tears.

"Okay... Okay... I'll get dressed and we'll go to town." Cedric patted her sister's head.

Maria went outside with her arms crossed. She was upset that his brother almost died and it was his big day. When she got out of the room, she let out a long sigh then she flashed her smile like there was nothing wrong. She knows that her brother will take a while so she went out of the castle to clear her head. As soon as she got off her carriage, people flocked around her. It was noisy but she did not mind, she just smiled as she walked over to the fountain. The birds chirping as the sun shone made her day. 

A boy caught her eye from afar. He was not familiar to her for he had white hair and eyes of grey which was rare to see in the Orient. As she stared at the boy, the crowd fell silent and they looked at the boy one by one. Maria was astonished and was at loss for words. She then slowly left the fountain and walked towards the boy. The boy was with a village boy who also saw the princess coming closer to them.

The boys stared at her in turn for they froze. "Who is she and why is she walking towards me...?" he thought as the little princess walked towards him.

Maria's sweet smile captured the young boy's gaze. When they saw each other just one feet away, it felt so natural. Like it was destiny.

"What's your name?" Maria asked in a sweet tone.

The white-haired boy looked at his companion wherein the boy he was with immediately got on one knee and it made him perplexed. His companion gave him a signal to get on one knee before the princess. Maria giggled a bit then she lifted up the white-haired boy's head.

"I asked for your name did I not?" Maria continued smiling.

His companion gave him a soft nudge then the white-haired boy answered. "Hans Van Rensselaer is my name, your highness."

"Your hair... White as snow..." Maria said. "I'm Venice. I suppose that you are not from this side of the globe?"

"Indeed I am not, your highness." Hans replied.

"I see... You two may stand up now." Maria put her hand on her cheek as she watched them stand up. When they were frozen still in front of her, she turned around then she slowly walked away.

"Princess... Why did you approach us?" Hans asked.

His words made the young princess freeze. She too doesn't know the real reason why she stopped for him. She just felt herself walk but she was not sure why...

"Why do you ask?" Maria asked without turning to the young boy.

"There must be a reason?" Hans asked.

Before Maria could even reply, a man older than Hans called for him from the distance.

"Hans! Hans!" The man called as he approached the boy.

Everyone looked to the direction of the man. He was wearing a black tunic and his hair was quite messy. Hans could not move a muscle without being dismissed. As much as he wanted to move, he couldn't. Maria's eyes started glowing red and everything felt gloomy. When the man who called for Hans looked at the little girl in violet, he immediately bowed then said, "May we leave you for now your highness?"

"You are dismissed, but..." Maria sighed. "I wish to see... What's your name again?"

"Hans?" Hans replied.

"Yes, Hans... I wish to see you in the coronation later." Maria turned to the boy in white with a glowing smile before walking away as her smile faded. She took a carriage back to the castle and there she contemplated what just happened in that scene. Not long, she arrived in the castle and his brother was still not finished so she waited for him before his door. "Are you ready?" Maria asked from the other side of the door.

"Yes." He said. He walked over to the door to open it.

Maria wore her smile as she giggled at her brother's get up. "You look like dad." She continued. "The people are thrilled to see you."

He held her sister's hand as they walk to the throne room. The doors opened wide and the people began cheering. Cedric took a deep breath then took a step outside the palace doors with his sister holding his hand. Nobles and commoners alike went to see their prince be crowned as king.

In the crowd was Cassandra in front of the Madarans. She cheered him on as she tries to get his attention. Cedric stops in front of her just to flash her a smile and a wink. Maria rolled her eyes as she waited for her brother to finish flirting with Cassandra. 

The girl with the flower basket appeared in front of him again, with a smile on her face and her mother on clutches. She curtseyed at the sight of him but he only replied with, "I am happy to see your mother during my coronation."

The little girl continued to lay her head low as she spoke, "She told me that she wouldn't miss it for the world. Thank you for your help."

She patted the girl's head then gave her mother a hug. The three of them smiled as Cedric continued walking.

"The people seem to like you." Maria told her brother. "You really won them over."

"Of course, I'd never let go of this responsibility. Neither should you." Cedric smiled.

Maria smiled as they walked to the plaza for the coronation. Sandra in disguise was following them with the knights and Howard. Hans was with Noir in the inn until the coronation was to start.

Hours passed, finally, the coronation started. It was a boring ceremony for kids thus Noir and Hans were just playing make believe in the inn.

Maria was feeling proud and a bit bored of the ceremony so she summoned her shadows to look for Hans and report everything they find afterwards. It took them 30 minutes to scan the whole kingdom and take note what was happening. Hans slept on the bed while Noir sat beside him, it was a rather cute sight while Cassandra was bored to death in the coronation.

After the other promises and rituals, Maria stood from her chair as signaled by Clara. She took the crown from the throne behind her brother then asked him the final vow, "Brother mine, Do you swear to put your people first before your own benefit even if your life is on the line?"

"For my kingdom, my people, I'll only do what benefits all even if it means losing everything that I have. Even if it is my life, thus I do." Cedric replied.

Maria smiled lightly at her brother as she put the crown on him. "King Cedric of the Orient, you may rise."

Cedric stood up then the sunset shone upon the crown on his head. He looked at his people clapping and cheering for him as the warriors of Madara bitterly smiled.

"I present to you, your king, King Cedric Sky Loki Sebastian Michael Alexander Cordovin Wordsworth. Long live the king!" Lady Clara curtseyed.

The night fell then the people rejoiced. Nobles around the world met the king to which he was honoured to have everyone at his coronation. Some even say that it was the quickest coronation in decades.

Maria was enjoying the party while young people around her age talked to her. Some boys even paid their respects but as soon as Lady Clara approached the young princess, they all left her alone.

"You want chocolate, Maria?" Lady Clara asked.

Maria nodded then Clara took a spoon. She put the spoon under the chocolate fountain then when it was filled, she fed it to Maria.

When the princess was eating, Lady Clara went to the king because she was being signaled to. Now that Maria was alone, the snipers took their aim. But as soon as they were about to pull the trigger, Hans bumps into the princess.

"Ah, uh... Sorry. I wasn't looking where I was going." Hans apologized.

"No harm done... Are you okay?" She asked the boy who's hair was spilled with chocolate.

"Is this chocolate?" He asked the princess.

"Yeah... Sorry." She apologized.

Hans laughed while Maria was confused. He smeared his finger into the chocolate then tasted it, "Still delicious if you asked me."

That remark made Maria giggle, something that only her brother could do. They both joked around while laughing and giggling. They were so childike and innocent.