Burgundy

January 1st

Why?

Cedric closed his journal after writing only one word. The sun hasn't even risen, yet he's awake. He didn't sleep.

"Where did I go wrong?" He asked himself.

He stood up from his chair then opened the lights. He then closed the light of his lampshade. He faced the mirror then said, "I'll never see the same as my sister, even when looking through a mirror."

The sun was near setting in the west. Maria was still in the room, but she was no longer tied onto a chair, she was just locked up. She sat on the window sill as she prayed for her brother.

"Princess Maria?" A call from the other side of the door called.

"Yes?" She asked.

"The royal family wishes to eat supper with you." The voice replied.

"Thank you, but I am not hungry." Maria was not the type to neglect food, but she doesn't have her appetite.

"Can you please at least sit with them on the table?" The voice pleaded.

Maria sighed. She opened the door to see a Madaran maid standing there.

"I thought I was a captive..." Maria said, avoiding eye contact.

"Yes, you are, but we are not that inhumane." The maid replied with a heartwarming smile.

"Oh... Okay..." Maria looked up at the maid with her dull red eyes. She looked lifeless.

The maid escorted her to the dining area where the royal family  was eating. They have Hans there too, since Eric did consider him as his brother and would always neglect eating unless he's with him.

"Princess Maria!" Eric greeted as he waved his hand.

Maria looked at Eric blankly. She was not in the mood to even do anything... She was deprived of everything she held near and dear, after all.

"Why not see beside me and Hans?" Eric left his chair to go closer to Maria.

His family didn't care since they know that Maria was less of a threat now since she appeared lifeless... Much like a doll.

Eric held her hand then pulled her to a seat between Hans and him. Maria sat there just like Eric's plaything. While she just sat there, Hans continued eating as he continuously glanced at Maria with every swallow.

"Hans, please don't glance to much, you might hurt your eyeballs." Sandra pointed out as she took a spoonful of soup.

Eric looked at Hans and so did Maria. Hans' face became red as he was really flustered. Though unsure if Hans was blushing because of Eric or Maria, Sandra just sighed.

"Eric, please finish your food." Sandra told her brother before standing from the table and leaving.

Sarah on the other hand was a very slow eater. Her parents did not mind though. They don't usually eat with the king and the queen.

"Eric, can you please..." Sarah pushed the plate towards Eric before also leaving the dining area. The king and the queen left after some minutes.

"How about you stay with me in my room!" Eric told Maria.

"Oh, sure... Okay..." Maria replied in a monotonous manner.

The three finished eating then went back to Eric's room. The dusk turned into darkness soon and Eric started yawning.

"Prince Eric, I think we should get some rest." Hans told his friend.

"Um... I think I'll stay in your room with you and your aunt Sae. The princess needs to have a better room." Eric smiled

"What if we stay here instead?" Hans suggested. "Aunt Sae can give us a spare mattress to sleep on with blankets and pillows."

"What a splendid idea!" Eric exclaimed. "Are you okay with that, princess?"

Maria neither uttered a word nor nodded. Her silence though was accepted by Eric as approval. Eric's  room was really wide so they had a mattress placed in front of the bed where the two young boys can sleep. As for Maria, she took the bed as per request of the prince.

As soon as they all got comfortable, Eric fell alseep. Maria was near to sleeping unlike Hans who was still lying awake.

Eric wrapped his arms around Hans as he snored. Hans looked at the bed to see the young princess sleeping peacefully. But little did he know, the princess's face was full of dried tears.

"She's the girl I met in the party... She isn't as lively as before..." Hans thought to himself.

Not long enough, Hans fell asleep.

In the east, the sun was just shining. Cedric wasn't signing any papers or answering any complaints on that day, which was quite new since he was always bombarded with work. He was supposed to be taking a rest, instead, he was in the courtyard, not admiring the flowers, but training his hand to hand combat skills.

"Sire, you should take a rest." Lady Clara advised as she approached the king. "You have been here since before sunrise."

"I can't take a rest Lady Clara... I can't imagine what those savages are doing to my sister." He said.

"Well that is certainly not the way to train." She told Cedric.

Cedric stopped hitting the dummy then turned to Lady Clara with a dead stare. Clara teleported behind Cedric then kicked him to the ground.

"That's cheating!" Cedric whined.

"You've been fighting in the war, yet you haven't understood that no fighter wouldn't pass on an opportunity to strike when you are off-guarded." Clara explained as she helped Cedric to stand up.

Cedric took Clara's hand then got ready to strike or defend. Clara struck the first blow, with a punch in which Cedric dodged. Cedric smirked then hit Clara on the stomach that made her teleport further as she groaned.

"You never cease to amaze me Lady Clara... Though you've been rusty lately... Not bad for an old, retired lady warrior." He said cockily.

"Who do you think raised you to be as tough as you are now?" Clara smirked.

"I know I was not raised by my father or my mother." Cedric attacked Clara upfront.

"You know what, you're king, you should know when and where I'll strike!" Clara teleported over Cedric before hitting his head to the ground.

Cedric took the blow and he earned a couple of bruises on the shoulder, knees and some wounds on his face.

"Want another match, your highness?" Clara shook her hands as she asked the defeated king.

Cedric stood up from the ground then glared at Clara, he was felt provoked and threatened.

"Gladly."