Satisfaction Brought it Back

The cockatoo-haired boy from next door knocked on her door later in the morning the following day. He returned her handkerchief and didn't bother her for the rest of the summer. There was no more practicing volleyball against the wall of her bedroom, there was no fear when she walked home from the corner mart. The rest of her summer consisted of reading and watching shows. On rare occasions, she called or texted her boyfriend. On even rarer occasions, he texted her first. Ai didn't let this bother her. She had more pressing matters on her plate.

It was her first day of school at Nekoma High. The first day is always the hardest, especially when you transfer into school halfway into the second year. She exited her apartment, bringing with her the lunchbox her mother had made for her.

Ai was extremely nervous, she had woken up terribly early to put on makeup and mentally prepare herself for the day ahead of her. Her long, black hair was woven into a braided crown that met a loose bun at the nape of her neck. The sailor uniform was different from the suit-style uniform she was used to, but Ai didn't mind.

Kuroo and Kenma emerged from a side street as she walked to school. For a while, they walked in silence. "So, no morning practices?" She asked, trying to break the tension a bit. She had been minorly obsessing over the fact that both of the boys in her neighborhood, especially her weird neighbor, went to her school.

"Yeah, first day back to school and all, Coach gave us the morning off," Kuroo responded.

"That's fun."

"Yeah." He looked over at her for a second before returning his gaze straight ahead. "So what year are you in?"

"Second."

"Oh, just like Kenma!"

Kenma looked up at the mention of his name, "Ohno Ai". She introduced herself, sticking out her hand, he looked to the side before muttering.

"Kozume Kenma."

Ai bowed courteously. "Please take care of me. Kozume-san?"

"Uh, yeah." Kenma fidgeted with his PSP before looking back at her, "You can call me Kenma."

"Cool." She said, and the conversation ended again.

****

Ai walked home from school alone most days, since Kuroo and Kenma had volleyball practice. There was so much she now had to process. Her classroom was the one next to Kenma's, though she never really saw much of him. Everyone was interested in the new girl. However, her allure was beginning to wear off. She had some people who you could consider friends, but she wasn't all that close with them.

She checked her phone out of habit. No new notifications. It had been well over a week since her boyfriend had last texted her back. She stopped sending messages after the eighth day. It was the thirteenth day. Ai decided, as she walked home, she would break up with him if he didn't contact her by midnight. She felt needy, but even if her boyfriend responded, would she be satisfied?

She spent a slow evening of tidying the house. She wiped down all of the counters and dusted the shelves. She scrubbed the toilet until it practically sparkled. She ate leftovers for dinner and packed lunches for her mother and herself.

By ten o'clock, she decided to take her bath. She soaked luxuriously in the newly-scrubbed tub. She worked her hair into a rich lather and took her time applying all sorts of lotions and creams. After she dried her hair, she returned to her bedroom and checked her phone. No new notifications.

Ai divided her hair and braided it into two plaits. After a half hour of reading, she picked up her phone. It was only eleven, but Ai dialed her boyfriend's phone number. He picked up after the third ring.