Chapter Twenty Two - Part One

Charlie

The pitch black room doesn't make my escape any easier. After prying Maxwell's arm off me, I slip out of bed in search for the door. I contemplate opening the curtains, allowing me to see where the exit is without bumping into furniture, but I decide it would be best to have Maxwell continue sleeping. So, with my eyes open as wide as possible, which is useless, and my arms outstretched before me to guide the way, I start the treacherous walk.

I hold my breath with each tiptoe across the floor. The fact that I probably look like Frankenstein crosses my mind. The rattling of something on top of what I believe to be the dresser echoes throughout the room as I walk face first into it. The point of my hands protecting me from that very outcome proves worthless as I underestimate the fact that my brain doesn't register objects until it's too late. My body goes rigid until the rattling object becomes silent again. Wishful thinking of if Maxwell does wake up he won't be able to see me...another pointless thought.

"Charlie, what are you doing exactly?" Humor fills his voice.

"Nothing." I don't know what else to say besides the fact that I've been caught.

"It's quite amusing to watch, but I figure I'll save you some time or pain and let you know that you are nowhere near the door."

What? Not even near the door? All I have to do is round the bed and take a few steps forward. A huff of annoyance puffs out between my lips. How in the hell am I going to get out of this room when I can't see a thing? I would flip the light switch, but that's by the door and if I were by the door I wouldn't need the light switch to begin with. To be honest, I could open the window to wipe that smirk off Maxwell's face that I know is present without visually seeing it, but I'm not even sure I can find the window.

"Do you wish for me to help you? If you don't want my help, I'll warn you that there's one more piece of furniture you are most likely going to run into."

I hang my head in defeat. "Can you help me?" I mumble

.

"I'm sorry, what? I didn't quite hear you, can you say it again?"

I raise my head to stare at him. Well, I think I'm staring at him. "Can you help me." I don't say it as a question. It isn't a question so to say, as agreeing to a last resort and I know well that he heard me the first time.

Before I can finish exhaling my anger from him mocking me, I feel the iciness that always accompanies him surround me. His hand clamps down on my forearm. "I thought you have super hearing to go along with your super human speed."

"I do," he says overconfidently.

"Then why did you make me repeat myself?"

"I just wanted to hear you say it again. Don't roll your eyes at me. It's not every day that I hear the great independent Charlie ask for my help."

I forgot he can see me. "You're dressed, right?" The chill from his body is extra strong, making me second guess the amount of clothing he's wearing.

"I have some articles on. I was sleeping right next to you before you slipped out of my grasp. You didn't notice if I was wearing clothes or not?"

"Well, there was a blanket in between us since I probably started to show signs of hypothermia." I laugh in his face with over exaggerated expressions. He finally starts to lead me out of the room.

The rest of the suite is lighter than the bedroom, although everything is still shrouded by darkness. I can at least make out objects and my own extremities. Therefore, I look from Maxwell's hand to his face, back to his hand again. "You can let go now."