Chapter Fourteen - Part One

Charlie

"Charlie...Charlie, wake up." I ignore Maxwell's whispers by burying my head into my pillow. His voice sounds too close for comfort, but when my forehead is scratched by something that feels similar to facial stubble I freeze up.

My mind analyzes the scene before my body starts moving. My head's not nuzzling into a pillow, it's snuggling into Maxwell's shoulder. As the feeling to the rest of my body starts to perk up, I find myself curled up against his cold rock hard body all the way to my toes. My arm drapes across his bare chest, my leg intertwined with his. What seems like minutes, but most likely is mere seconds later, I leap backward, swearing under my breath.

My body over jumps and is on the verge of falling out of bed altogether, but Maxwell's strong grip pulls me fully back onto the mattress. "What did I do?" I point to myself in shame and immediately blame him instead. "What did you do?" But the blame settles on my shoulders as I contemplate if I actually could have done something. "Please tell me I didn't do anything stupid. That you didn't make me do something we both regret again." My head falls into my hands, afraid to look at him. I swear I didn't do a thing, but as my mind races. Trying to recall last night, I come up empty-handed.

"I didn't do what you think I might have done. I let you sleep. But plus enlighten mon what it is that you think you've done?" He winks at me with a large smile on his face, which part of me finds repulsive, while another part finds sexy.

I whip the blankets off me, refusing to remain this close to him. Standing alongside the bed, I point my finger at him. "Just because I wake up draped over you doesn't mean a thing."

He nods with skeptical eyes, not believing a word I'm saying.

"Will. Not. Happen," I yell as I walk around the bed to the bathroom.

"What if I told you that you said you loved me? What would you have to say then?"

I have no idea if he's telling the truth or not. I mean, I can't remember a single thing that happened last night because I was so tired. For all I know I did say those words in my deep sleep, but I'm not going to admit that. "Then I would have to call bullshit. Maybe you were the one dreaming last night."

"Well, if I was dreaming, I would have to admit that my dreams came true when you woke up in my arms. Although, if you were talking in your sleep, your dreams must have been fairly strong to force you to rub up against me. Either way it proved to be a pleasant morning." He barely finishes his sentence before his laugh grows stronger.

"You're not going to let this go, are you?" An answer isn't necessary, but I still have to ask it.

"Not in the least." Without warning, he turns on the bedside lamp. The smile that is on his face makes me stumble into the doorframe of the bathroom. His sharp fangs glisten in the light. They seem to mock me as I stare at them. Then I remember I'm in Grace's opinion of sleepwear.

"Hungry this morning, are we?" I say before quickly turning into the bathroom slamming the door. My head thumps against it in defeat. A groan of agony fills the large room as I realize that my clothes are out there. I stay in the room for as long as possible, but eventually I gather my composure and slowly open the door. The light is still on, but Maxwell is nowhere to be seen. Instantly, I start my pursuit to my suitcase, tiptoeing as fast as possible.

The blood in my head drains, leaving me lightheaded, and I stop dead in my tracks as I hear Maxwell's voice coming from the living room area. All I hear is him thanking someone as I take the last few steps to my luggage. With the suitcase in hand, I turn around, ready to race back to the confines of the bathroom, but my luck runs out.