Chapter Seven - Part One

Charlie

The blanket snuggly around my head is the only escape from the loud ringing of my cell phone. I toss and turn, trying to find a comfortable spot again after being woken up. However, a shuffle of papers coming from the kitchen sets my nerves on edge. Someone's in my house...snooping. As gently as possible, I slip out from underneath the blanket and tiptoe out into the hall.

My teeth clench together as I watch Maxwell dig through my papers that I left lying out on my kitchen table. You want to play dirty, fine, I say to myself. Making my way back to my room, I throw on some clothes. With my nerves on edge and my senses spiked, I hear the soft click of my front door. Waiting a few extra minutes before following him, I remember to keep my distance several feet behind as I duplicate his fast paced walk down the unlit sidewalk.

The night air has a slight chill and I'm thankful when he finally enters a hotel. It's one of the fancier ones in town, which makes me slightly grunt in response. He likes to live the luxurious life all right. I remain outside and peer through the glass doors, waiting for him to head to his room, but a man immediately approaches him, the same man who accompanied him at Junction 22.

As the man leads Maxwell away, I decide to change my plan of just following him to becoming more hands-on. There's not a lot of time to put my plan into action and I face the possibility of being caught, but the urge to dig my fingers in his things is overpowering. When they're completely out of sight, I walk in, heading straight for the front desk. I stare at the man behind the counter, thinking about how I can charm him.

"Good evening, miss, what can I help you with?" His eyes scan my attire as he eyeballs me.

Not allowing my self-consciousness to ruin my chances, I put on my best act. "The guy who just walked in, Maxwell is his name...well, you see, he snuck me in through the back door and things happened that I'm not proud of. However, I left something behind. I need to get back in the room without him knowing."

"I can't help you with that. I'm only allowed to inform him and he can bring the things down for you or he can assist you in gathering them."

This is going to be tougher than I thought. "Listen, one-night stands are the worst ideas in the world and I can't look at him again." I see a wedding band on his left hand and try to play up my stupidity of not being able to settle down with one person. "I'm sure you think I'm a bad person just throwing myself on some man seeing as your married, happily I assume, but please spare me a little embarrassment. There has to be something I can do for you?"

I see him waver, just the slightest bit, but he's contemplating my silent offer. "Hmm, hmm? I plan some high end parties. A nice evening all planned out for your wife." I continue to ask, edging him toward the correct answer.

"My wife would be impressed if I gave her an anniversary dinner."

"Deal," I shout before he has a chance to change his mind. "Just find his room, make a key and nobody has to know about this, just like your wife doesn't have to know that I created the perfect evening. Maxwell Barnett." I wait. It kills me, but I wait.

He stares at me, knowing that what I'm asking of him is wrong and could get him fired, but within a few seconds, he taps at the keyboard of the computer and hands me a room key. "Room 218," he whispers.

Snatching up the pen on the counter and reaching over my boundaries to collect a piece of scrap paper, I scribble down the number to my office. "Call me during work hours. Just tell me about our secret key and I'll get you all set up. Thank you." I grab the thin plastic card from his hand before he can change his mind and make a dash for the stairs. Who would think that being a party planner would get you what you want.