Chapter Fifteen - Part Two

Maxwell

I hear the door open and the soft tip toe of feet. "Charlie, you're here early. Just make yourself comfortable. I'll be right out." In a rush I get out of the tub. I've been soaking in hot water to warm my body temperature up so I'm not so cold to the touch.

I exit the bathroom wrapped in nothing but a towel. Charlie lies in bed completely covered. A pile of clothes is at the foot on the floor. I don't think twice about it the 360 change in her behavior. My excitement clouds my judgement.

I lined the room with candles and have romantic music playing in efforts to show her that we belong together, that loving me isn't all that bad. There might be a monster lurking inside, but it will only protect her not hurt her like she thinks. She's right, secrets are just as bad as lies.

I crawl into bed, stopping mere inches away from her naked body. "I must say I'm quite surprised at your turnaround."

She scoots toward me. Her buttock rests against my manhood.

"Charlie" I whisper in her ear. But that's when I see all this blonde hair hiding under the pillow. I shoot out of bed, gathering to towel to cover myself up.

"I know I'm not Charlie, but you can call me whatever you want," the young woman says. She sits fully exposed on the bed.

I stutter in search for her name.

"Paige. My name is Paige and I've loved you ever since I saw you."

"Aren't you supposed to be downstairs with Charlie?"

"Grace came and took her away, so I thought I could come here and visit you. I just want you inside me one time. I want to feel your teeth rack across my body. I'm sure Charlie won't mind. We're all about sharing us donors and vampires. aren't we?"

"You need to go."

"My vampire won't know and I certainly won't tell him. This week he's with Courtney and next week he's with Autumn. By the time it's my turn with him the bite will be healed. Please," she begs.

"I said leave." The hatred in my voice makes her tremble.

"But—"

"Now." I point her to the door and reluctantly she obeys my orders.

She dresses in a matter of seconds and rushes out of the room. Women such as herself shouldn't be donors, shouldn't know of the existence of vampires. Desperation of that degree can get you killed.

Lost in thought, I don't hear the door open until it's too late.

"I must have missed something pretty good. Didn't I, Maxwell?" Charlie says in an accusing tone.

In a rush I pull my pajama bottoms on. "Charlie."

She doesn't allow me to say anything further. "Don't Charlie me. I know what's going on here. You have perfect timing, I must say."

"What are you talking about? This is for you. I wanted to show you how much I love you. How much we belong together."

"Do not lie to me. I saw Paige in the hall. Her ruffled hair, sloppy clothes, and only three doors away from our room. Looks like you got done with whatever it is that you were doing with her just in time."

I walk up to her to offer some kind of comfort, but she steps away from me. I will kill that Paige if she ruins my chance with Charlie. No one will stand in my way and if anyone does they will pay the consequences. She's apparently one line beneath Dave on my list to get rid of.

"Yes, she was here to seduce me, but I sent her away. I've been bathing in hot water for who knows how long so I wouldn't be cold for you. I thought you were back early and she hopped into bed before I exited the bathroom. She covered herself up completely, tricking me in thinking she was you."

"And you just thought that some lovey-dovey music and candles would make me jump into bed?"

"I'm optimistic that you'll come around."

A huff of forced laugher rushes out from between her pursed lips" I'm pessimistic. You want to know why? For this very reason. You can't get hurt if you expect the worst of people. I've been here, Maxwell. I've been through this all already and I won't be the loser again." She takes in my confused stare. "And he's just as stubborn apparently as you are."

"I'm nothing like Dave."

"I wouldn't be too sure about that. You whole 'I didn't do anything' speech sounds exactly like his. I'm over this." She turns for the door.

"You have to care to get hurt." At that moment I know she cares. She's just pushing me away before I realize it, before her affection can latch on. I block her way to the door and grab her arms, planting her in place. She has no other choice than to look at me.

"I can't do this. You need to find someone else."

"Why? Why can't you let me in, Charlie? I'm not going to hurt like you think I will. You have to give me a chance to prove that. You can't let people like Dave or whatever the hell her name is ruin your life."

"This is more about Paige than Dave."

"Paige? She's nothing compared to you."

"She's everything. You deserve someone like her. Someone who will do whatever you want whenever, wherever you want it. That's not me. I'm damaged goods. Why do you think Dave did what he did if I was so great?"

I know exactly what Dave did or appeared to do, because I instigated it. "Dave's an idiot. And I don't want somebody like Paige. Sit."

"No." The obnoxious tone in her voice is beyond irritating.

"For the love of Jesus Christ, Charlie, just sit down." My hands run through my hair from her stubbornness.

With a defeated look in her eyes, she abides.

"After my sentencing I went in search of the Travors. I traced family lines and came across the Bloomburgs first, but there was something telling me to keep looking. Searching. That's when I found the Prestons. Not soon after coming across your great great grandparents and what not, I found a transcriber. He was hiding something and I wanted to know what. So I waited for the perfect time. That's when I read the journal. That's when I knew I was searching for you. Once I found you I didn't let you out of my sight."

Her head snaps up to look at me. "How touching but yet so creepy. You're just fascinated with the concept of me being hidden, hide and seek for vampires must be exhilarating."

Without warning, I grab her face between my hands, applying just enough pressure to hold her still. My mouth finds hers and needfully I kiss her. She struggles under my grip. Her hands pound at me, but I don't let her go. After a few seconds she goes limp. Her unmoving lips start to press against mine and just like that she kisses me back. I lean her backward until she lies on the bed. Pressing up against her gets me more excited than it should. My teeth extract and pierce her bottom lip.

A sharp breath from her breaks the kiss. She stares at me shocked as her tongue licks at the small wound.

"Charlie, I didn't mean to, it's just..."

"A vampire thing."

"I don't need—"

"It's my fault. I shouldn't have...led you on." Her head falls in her hands. "This is so embarrassing. How did I do this last time? Oh, that's right, I wasn't fully there." She puts an accusatory edge to her voice as she says it.

"Just get some rest. It's fine."

"No, it's not. Let me do this." She pulls at the hem of her shirt. She's trying, she really is, but you can tell it's taking a great toll on her.

"Charlie. Look at me." Once her eyes are on mine, I order her to listen. "This is not necessary, Charlie. Now get comfortable and get some rest. You won't question or remember any of this. Understood."

She nods her head as if in a daze. And just like I commanded her to do, she does. She strips off her clothes, pulls on a T-shirt that she digs out of her bag, and crawls into bed. Not soon after, I follow.

I lie in bed with a smile on my face, but it doesn't last long. I resorted to influencing her once again, but this time it's for the better. It might be awkward to be lying in bed with what Grace refers to as an empty shell, but I wasn't going to have her endure something she would regret again. At least I'm making progress and that's all that matters.