Eternal Bride - Chapter One, Part One

Hello Vampire Bride readers!!! After some back and forth and internal debate, I'm deciding to share some chapters of the sequel, Eternal Bride. So enjoy chapter one and keep an eye out for Chapter two and three.  Thank you for reading!

Charlie

It's been three weeks since Maxwell has let me leave the house. It's been three weeks of trying to act normal. That odd, bizarre feeling of not feeling hungry, quicker reflexes, the inability to feel warm or cold. It's still unbearable. Even in a room packed with people I still feel...different.

Weaving through strangers whose heartbeats I can hear, feel the heat from their bodies and smell every single scent in the large open room. It takes nearly all my energy to come to stand beside Morgan. "I'm here." I pant.

She squeals with joy before throwing herself at me. "Out into the world at last. How's Maxwell holding up? Like a lost super cute puppy?"

I struggle to keep a smirk off my face, but I lose and it only gets wider and wider. He is lost. "He's fine. Bored, but fine." I lie.

The couple of honor dance in the middle of the makeshift dance floor, friends and family surrounding them. Their slightly wrinkled skin and salt and pepper hair show their age, but their dancing shows their stamina. No one would think that they've been partying for the last eight hours and there's no sign of them stopping anytime soon.

"How's everything going?" This was the first of many parties that Morgan will be half in charge of. Her taking the first shift and me picking up the tail end.

We have several months planned for my impending departure in a few weeks. Back to back parties, adult ones start late evening and through the night and all the child orientated ones are in the early afternoon, because they're Morgan's secret specialty. I've learned she's great with kids and I'm more than happy to pawn all those screaming children off on her without regret.

A quick smile flashes across her face, "Good. Easy peasy. Do you want me to stay?" She's taking this better than I would if I were her. I can't express how much I'm grateful for her level head and unreasonable understanding. Who knew that a simple church girl would make being turned into a vampire bearable? "Until you head out tonight?"

"No. Go get some rest."

Morgan's eyes frantically search the room and I catch the slight increase in heartbeat. "Are you sure?" She asks giving me the best opportunity to change my mind, but why would I want to do that?

"Is something wrong? Are you looking for someone?" I ask just as I sense a body approaching me from behind. "Morgan." It isn't a question as much as a concern.

A pair of arms wrap around me from behind and a familiar voice screams what should be a whisper in my ear. "And here I thought that idiot had killed you."

My eyes go wide at his choice of words. "Maxwell wouldn't-"

He interrupts me, thank God. "I've stopped by several times, hundreds of times and he never let me see you once. It isn't right." Dave snaps, his finger nearly in my face.

I grab him, the arm with the hand that points in my face. My hold a little too tight, because I see him flinch and a shock of surprise crosses his face. I drag him out of the room and down a deserted hall. "Maybe, because he's my boyfriend and you're crossing a line."

"I've already crossed many lines with you." He teases, but as I twist his arm, his smart ass chuckle stops. I'm slightly unaware at how hard I twisted, because my vision went black with thoughts of his blood on my lips. I shake the feeling away. There will be no biting of Dave...ever.