Chapter Ten - Part Two

Maxwell

As if some imaginary switch is pulled, Charlie's feisty behavior disappears and all I'm left with is a woman that will do whatever I say. Part of me is relieved, but at the same time part of me is sickened. It shouldn't have to be like this. And as I stare at her while she presses her warm cheek into my palm, I debate on going through with what needs to be done.

She won't remember exactly what happened, but it's better than her looking at me with tear filled eyes as she glimpses the monster that lurks just beneath the surface. Her hand remains tightly clenched in mine as I lead her to the bed. "Charlie, sit down." My hand slips out of her as she places herself at the edge of the bed. I kneel in front of her, taking her hands back into mine. "Do you remember what I told you about The High Council?"

She nods anxiously at me.

"They need to see a connection between us. They need to see that you...that you love me." It kills me to say those words. It kills me even more as she squeezes my hands tighter.

"I'll do anything for you, Maxwell. Anything." Her words toy with my feelings. It's not real. "What do I need to do to prove to you, to them that I love you?"

With ease, my teeth extract. Showing them to her in full. She would normally pull back or quiver in my grip, but this time she doesn't. Instead, she places her lips on mine. If I were to pull back my influence she'd be furious with me. Using her isn't what I want. If I wanted to do as I pleased with her and feed whenever I felt like it without having a deeper connection with her we wouldn't be here. She would be like the girl screaming for it stop a couple of rooms down the hall. And I definitely wouldn't be a frantic mess preparing for our visit with The High Council.

Lost in my own thoughts and fighting certain urges, I don't realize her hands aren't touching me anymore. Opening my eyes, I see her fumble with the back zipper of her dress.

"Charlie."

She ignores me. Just as I'm about to tell her to stop, she folds down the collar of her dress, exposing her neck and shoulders. Her hands continue to pull the fabric further. My hands encompass hers, forcing her to a stop before she uncovers too much of herself.

Letting go of her hands, I cradle her head in my palm. She follows the gentle push of my fingertips to lean her head to the side. The pulse of her veins under the thin, tender skin causes an ache all over my body. It's been so long since I fed. Either forgetting or not caring that Charlie isn't the true Charlie, I let my instincts take over. My lips instantly go to her neck. The warmth that radiates through her smooth skin is breathtaking.

A laugh erupts from her mouth. "That tickles."

Her fingers tangle within my hair seconds before she pushes my mouth harder upon her neck. The tips of my teeth pierce the skin from the force. There's no wince of pain. No second thoughts. She just leans her head further to the side, allowing my mouth more room to bite.

Seconds tick by as I just linger over her neck, resisting the urge to take advantage of her. But once the sweetness of her blood touches my tongue, bringing it life, it's over. I plunge my teeth in the curve of her neck as deep as they'll go. Her body tenses before it goes limp. Fear races through me. What if I drank too much?

The slow beat of her heart fills my ears as I lay her on the pillows. Relief washes over me, but it doesn't last long.

"So you took the easy way out. How did it feel to bite into an empty shell?" Grace says as she stands behind me.

"Not now, Grace," I threaten.

"The council will see past whatever act she'll put on to save her own ass. It's either standing up to her or them and from the looks of it, it's not her."

"You think I don't know that? I at least bought her a little time."

"Well, aren't you the charmer every woman wants." Sarcasm is one of Grace's strong suits.

"Is it okay if I let her stay here tonight?" I ask, ignoring her.

"Sure. Why not?" Her sarcasm strikes again.

"Don't be scared. You two will get along quite fine, believe me. I'm going to go clean up." I pass her on my way out. Her words, however, follow me down the hall.

"I'm not scared of a little girl. And she'll just love to be my BFF when she gets her senses back. Oh, you're the vampire that set me up. Hey, take a look at this big bite in my neck because I showed up for a party I didn't need to. Yeah, best friends. Forever."

A smile spreads across my drying red lips. My reflection in the bathroom mirror is horrendous. The freshly wet blood red lips give my skin a ghostly white tone. Dried blood starts to crust on my face from the head wound she gave me, which flake away at my touch. I spot Grace in the corner of the mirror. She decided to follow me to taunt me some more.

"Do not try to make me feel bad about this, Grace. You know better than anyone does what The High Council would order if she arrived with her smart-aleck attitude. Not to mention that the bond has only formed to a certain level due to simple skin-to-skin contact. They would order me to bite her right there and depending on how much she disrespects them or myself they would order for her to be turned on the spot."

I see Grace waver. Even though she wants to criticize me for my actions, she understands. "I came here to get a washcloth and a bandage for her. Not to criticize you."

I collect the damp washcloth and bandage before leaving the bathroom. "I can do it. Why don't you go deal with the rest of partygoers? They should be getting ready to leave soon."

"Very well," she says before heading downstairs.

I clean up the bite mark and hide it from view with the bandage. Guilt makes the air thick and my head foggy. I remain in the room with Charlie while Grace decides to stay as far from her as possible.

The sound of latches snapping into place means only one thing. Sunrise. Grace never has been one to sulk in a basement or tomb during the hours of daylight, so she vampire proofed her home. Every place that lets in the moonlight at night gets barricaded with aged, thick wooden shutters she had carved by some elderly man in Venice decades ago. I made this room light tight last night before Charlie arrived, but as the minutes ticked by I could almost see the wood brighten from the sun's rays.

Sunrise is the worst. An ache takes over the body. The pull of sleep tugs at your eyelids. Vampires don't have to sleep, but some of us do because it reminds us of our human days. I've grown accustomed to it as I prefer to sleep away my hunger.

More than anything, I want to be awake and in the room when Charlie wakes up, but I need to move around to get rid of this restlessness that's starting to take over my limbs, so I join Grace downstairs.