Chapter Sixteen - Part Two

Maxwell

I have no idea what has come over Charlie. The pained look on her face says it's more than just her hand hurting. We enter our room with her arm intertwined with mine, but as soon as the door slams shut, she rips her arm away. I brace myself for the storm that's about to come my way.

"You need to explain yourself," she says in a calm voice.

"I know I should have told you about the kiss...and about the bloodletting, but I knew it would only make you more nervous."

"Not that, Maxwell. You need to explain what Benjamin said. I waited for you to say something about it first, but you remained quiet the whole ride over here. Is it true, that I'm the only female that's a direct descendant from the Travors bloodline? That you're ending my life because I'm your last chance at having a meal for how ever many more years?"

"Charlie, stop," I demand.

As usual, she didn't hear me or she doesn't care as she continues to accuse. "Oh, I'm definitely the person you've been looking for, all right. Not for anything other than being a girl born to the right father." Her hate-filled glare doesn't waver.

In a blink of one's eyes, I come to stand in front of her. "Charlie, stop." I watch her body go rigid when I demand that she stops, but within a few seconds, she loosens up. Her eyes move to stare at the ground midway through my explanation.

"Why does Benjamin dislike you?" she abruptly says.

"That's not my story to tell."

"Not your story to tell. I don't care whose story it is, this is about me pretending to know everything about you—when I clearly don't—to the man who hates you and most likely hates me too. Amuse me, whose story is it to tell?"

"Grace's."

"Of course. Well, Grace has some explaining to do herself. However, you're just going to have to betray your friendship and tell me. You might answer the questions I have for her, but I think she would understand. Now tell me why or I leave. After everything I went through because of you, this is the least you can do." I can tell she means business. I have never heard such anger in her voice before.

I reluctantly tell her what she wants to know. "Benjamin dislikes me, because Grace found a friend in me. When everyone thought I was cruel—"

"You were cruel," she interrupts.

I correct myself. "When everyone saw how cruel I was, she still saw the best in me. Benjamin, however, lost her trust and companionship when he took a second bride and he grew jealous." I feel better after saying the words. I examine the confused look on Charlie's face. Before she can ask, I answer her question. "Grace is Benjamin's first bride."

I wait for her to process the information. "You and Grace?"

That's what she got out of what I said, Grace and I together...intimately? "No, we're merely friends. He blames me for giving her the courage to move on. He blames me for helping her love someone other than him. He hates me because the woman he loved at one point in time, maybe still does, prefers to be with a murderer than him."

"I watched her jump at his words. She's still loyal to him."

"She has no choice but to obey him at events such as these." It kills Grace more than anyone will ever know to be Benjamin's little lap dog. He takes advantage of her since he knows that she has to obey, which leaves Grace physically and mentally drained.

"His questions sounded like he knew...like he knew I don't want to be like...you."

I want to breathe a sigh of relief once she speaks the words. I thought she was going to say he knew she didn't love me. Benjamin certainly didn't help smooth out that bump. "I assure you, Grace is on our side. She would never deceive me and she would never put you in harm's way."