Chapter Eighteen - Part Two

Maxwell

The warmth coming from her body as she presses against me is intoxicating. I can feel my ice-cold body start to heat up in spots. It's a weird feeling, but I welcome it because it tricks my subconscious into thinking it's a step closer to being human. As she tugs a fistful of my hair and urges me to sink deeper into her neck, my fingertips dig into her skin. The sound of her hissing breath in my ear as I crush her only adds to my excitement.

Lifting her off the ground, I spin us around, so we're facing the direction that Benjamin is located in. I know he watches us and I want to see the look on his face. Within seconds after averting my gaze, I see him with clenched fists glaring at us. My mouth still suctions itself to Charlie's neck, and my hands slide up and down her body. The curve of her butt fits perfectly in my palm. If I stretch far enough, I can touch her bare thigh.

With Charlie's hands still latched on to me, it gives us the reaction we're hoping for. Benjamin breaks the stare he has on us and storms away with his second bride, the bride he chose over Grace. Grudgingly, I detach from Charlie. Sticky blood gathers in the corners of my mouth, but I quickly lick it away before I look at her.

"How are you feeling?" I ask, afraid I took too much.

Her hand goes to her head. Her eyes squint closed. "Just a bit dizzy is all." The words come out with a sigh.

I know she's not used to the withdrawal of blood and this isn't even a regular basis. Some vampires feed from their humans three times a day, just as a human eats three meals a day. "Let's get you something to drink," I instruct her.

She seems as if she's in a daze as she follows my lead with her fingers gripping my forearm. By the time we arrive at the bar Charlie seems to be getting better. She slaps her hand on the bar top and asks for a shot of something strong. Her voice takes on a slur as if she's already drunk.

"I think my love here will have a glass of juice," I say, correcting her.

"That's probably a better idea," she mumbles out as she agrees with me.

We make our way over to the corner where Grace is located. Once she comes into view we see her sitting next to a chipper young man. He has his pink button-down shirt open, showing his hairless tanned chest. At first glance, I see five bite marks on him. Charlie immediately plops down into a chair, totally oblivious to the leaking blood bank on the other side of Grace.

"If I recall you seem to be in better shape than the last time he sunk his fangs in you," Grace jokes.

"What I'm willing to do to keep my beating heart," Charlie replies, matching Grace's joking tone.

Just as I am about to offer for us to leave, Paige runs up to Charlie. "I requested a song and I want you to join us on the dance floor." Her blonde hair whips as she sways her head. If I could vomit, I would. This Paige is the complete opposite as my Charlie and I don't want any aspect of her rubbing off on Charlie or worse yet...tainting her. She's insecure and desperate as she flaunts herself in front of everyone. She treats herself as her vampire treats her, like meat.

"I'd rather not," Charlie says in a snobby tone.

"Oh my God, Maxwell told you. I'm so sorry. I was just...I mean, when I saw you kiss Aiden I thought I had a chance with Maxwell," Paige whines.

"What? You kissed Aiden?" I abruptly say, interrupting their conversation.

"No...yes, but not how you're thinking it happened."

"I saw it, Maxwell. It was entirely Aiden putting the moves on her," Grace chimes in.

Charlie's eyes light up as she hears the next song play. I can tell she doesn't want anything to do with Paige, but the pull of the song is winning her over. Not to mention that she doesn't want to argue with me further. "Fine, but we are not friends," she reluctantly states.