Chapter Fifteen - Part One

Charlie

Fully submerged in the tub, limbs gently floating in the warm water, relaxation takes over every inch of my body or so I thought. My mind begins to wander. Maxwell's supposed jealousy and Dave's need to insert himself back into a romantic position. It's too much and just a bunch of stupidity if you ask me.

There's not a doubt in my mind that Maxwell has this idea that coming here will bring us closer together, but part of me refuses on making him right. I'm not ready to admit that I think he's attractive, caring, intelligent...jesus I need to get ahold of my myself. I'm not ready to lose whatever it is that I'd lose being with him, be it my beating heart or humanity. My head gently rests against the rim of the luxurious bathtub with heavy eyelids.

Quietness mixed with the lightweight warmth the bath gives me is a bad combination. I shoot up from under the water, gasping for air. I didn't realize I actually fell asleep until I tried to breath underwater. Water runs in thick trails down my face and my once dry hair is now soaked. My hands uselessly wipe away the water from my face.

I nearly slide back under as Maxwell bursts through the door. I instinctively scramble to cover myself up, only to realize that most of my bubbles have disappeared. "Would you learn to knock!" I shriek at him.

"I heard you struggling and I..." It's the first time I hear him at a loss for words.

I raise both my eyebrows and bob my head, urging him to finish the sentence. As the seconds pass, I get annoyed. "Well, as you can see, I'm not drowning, and Casper the friendly ghost is not present, so you can. Leave. The. Room."

I see him try extra hard to not look at me, but occasionally I see his eyes bearing down on me. "Try not to be lingering in the bedroom, I'm going to be getting out." I shoo him out the door with my hand, several drops of water dripping off my fingertips.

As soon as the door closes, I hop out of the tub and wrap myself in one of the fluffy white towels. Even though I instructed Maxwell to leave, who knows if he's actually going to listen. I towel dry myself off and slip into my undergarments before peaking out into the bedroom. I cautiously exit the bathroom to enter an empty bedroom. Feeling more comfortable in the still warm bathroom, I man up to face the mess that my reflection is bound to show.

A small smile stretches across my face as I hear Maxwell knock on the bedroom door. I shut the bathroom door, just leaving it open a crack before I give him the okay to enter. "I had some food delivered if you're interested."

Really, even though he knows I'm going downstairs to a restaurant, he ordered me food. I tell myself to relax. I know he's just trying to be nice, trying to be this so called gentleman. "Thank you...I'll be right out."

I'm expecting to find him waiting in the bedroom for me, but once I exit the bathroom he's nowhere in sight. With a little searching, I find him sitting at the table across from my food. He immediately stands up in my presence.

"You know you didn't need to get me food. I was planning on getting some downstairs, unless...you're disappointed that I didn't invite you to come along and you're trying to make me late or feel guilty about my behavior," I say mockingly.

"You still can ask me to join you."

"That would make an interesting evening, but no thanks. It's going to put a toll on me the way it is without watching Paige goggle at you. I mean, you might falter at the presentation tomorrow and things might not go in our favor." I can't help but to laugh as I tell him his own words.

He, however, just stares at me blankly.

"Oookay then, I'm just going to eat." I look away from his emotionless stare and take bite after bite. I don't overstuff myself, just enough to hold me over.