Chapter 16- Lauren's Sunday Morning News

I woke up this morning feeling reluctant to get up and cupping my head as a headache began to form in the back of head. One would think that after one of the most amazing evenings of my summer yet, well not including the dreadful dinner I had to attend with Jacob’s parents and that devious Gabby, I would be floating on clouds right now. But no, instead I’m not really ready for this bright Sunday morning to begin seeing as this afternoon I will be meeting Jacob and his father at the golf club... along with his insane mother for lunch.

Ever since Jacob brought me home last night, all that’s been running through my mind is what I will have to endure from Jacob’s mother. I didn’t fall for the whole “I was going to ask Mia to join us for lunch,” crap she pulled after dinner last night. I know for a fact she was probably seething inside at the fact that Jacob wanted me to join them for lunch and I wouldn’t be surprised if she had something up her sleeve to make my lunch with them as awkward as possible. 

Sitting up slowly in my bed, I threw my legs over the side and bent my head down to meet my hands, letting my dark long hair fall in front of my face. I gave a loud groan before snapping my head up as my bedroom door flew open revealing Lauren.  

“Hey sleepy head, it’s about time you get up it’s almost eleven in the morning,” she said with a bright voice that I wouldn’t be at all surprised about if I hadn’t known how upset she was yesterday about Derek. 

Giving her a weird look, I sat up more and put one leg under me, “Your acting very... okay today...” I said testing the waters before I asked her if she was feeling alright.  

Lauren didn’t even hesitate as a smile came onto her face as she hopped over to my bed and sat down beside me, “That’s because I am okay Mia, actually I’m more than okay,” she said the last part as a distant look came onto her face, her smile turning broader.  

Not understanding why she was being so cheery, I narrowed my eyes at her, “And why are you more than okay, I’m pretty sure you didn’t look that okay to me before I left yesterday. What changed since then?” I asked curious to know why my best friend was acting like what happened between her and Derek never really happened. 

Lauren looked back at me with a grin, “You were with Jacob last night, did you guys go back to his place at all?” she said with raised eyebrows and I blushed and looked away quickly making her slap my arm, “Oh Mia I’m not trying to get any details out of you, well not yet seeing as there looks to be some juicy ones. I will be trying later, but right now I just want to know if you went back to his place,” she informed me and I gave an embarrassed nod, “Yes...” I said to her making her squeal before she quickly composed herself.

“Oh my God, okay we’ll talk about that later. Back to what I was saying, so did you happen to see Derek there last night?” she asked and I narrowed my eyes at her in confusion as I shook my head, “No, nobody was there but me and Jacob, Why?” I asked and watched as her smile got even bigger if that was possible.

“I know he wasn’t there,” Lauren said and I gave her a ‘what the heck’ look, “Then why did you even ask?” I said looking at my friend like she had lost her mind before getting up and walking over to my dresser to get some under clothes.

I heard Lauren shuffle on my bed some before she spoke again, “I just wanted a build up for what I’m about to tell you,” she started and I quickly shot back, “Which is...?”  

I could hear the satisfaction in Lauren’s voice as she continued, “I wasn’t at home last night either and do you want to know why?” she said before waiting for my reply.  

I twisted around to face her for a second, a wary expression slipping onto my face, “What did you do Lauren?” I asked accusingly, knowing how my crazy best friend can be.