Chapter 38- A Night of Revealing Truths and Confessions part 6

Hope you like read authors notes at end of chapter. Thanks ENJOY

**********************************************************************************************

Chapter 38- A Night of Revealing Truths and Confessions part 6

I’ve never in my life met a person that seemed to get high off of attention. Never in my entire existence have I had to endure watching someone constantly talking about themselves or skillfully turning every topic of conversation into something about them. I’ve also never witness someone get so insanely irritated when the focus suddenly shifted from them to someone else around them or work so hard to bring the attention back to them. 

But honestly, I’ve never had the displeasure, until now that is, of being so close to someone so annoying and conceited as Gabby and to make things worse, my mind hasn’t stopped thinking about what Jacob’s mother said earlier. I wouldn’t be surprised if everyone at this event could see just how annoyed and frustrated I really was. 

The auction part of the event has been over for almost a half an hour and now everyone was back down on the first floor in the banquet room waiting for Jacob’s mother and father to appear. The whole room was full of laughter and light conversation and the table I was seated at was no exception. The only difference was… I wasn’t laughing and I wasn’t conversing.

Watching everyone, including my boyfriend, give Gabby the attention that she wanted as she went on talking about herself and her family, I silently wished I would have asked Lauren to stay just a little while longer. At least then, I would have had someone I knew around besides Jacob and Derek.

Because honestly, I felt tremendously out of place at this table, what with all the known and respected men and women that sat around the table, not to mention, Jacob’s parents, who would be seated soon and Derek’s, and all the conversations about business, stocks and subjects I couldn’t relate to at all, I felt more out of my element then ever.

I felt like the unpopular girl in high school that gets invited to the popular table at lunch as a joke, just to show her exactly why she would never fit in with them and I had a feeling I was the unpopular girl at the popular table and Jacob’s mother and Gabby were the popular girls playing the joke on me. My little theory was confirmed when Jacob’s mother and father finally appeared in front of our table.

Picking up a champagne flute and a spoon, Jacob’s mother tapped it a few times to get everyones attention, “Thank you everyone for joining my husband and I for our annual charity gala and I hope you all enjoyed the auction earlier. I want to also give a special thanks to each and every one of you who donated this evening and now may you all enjoy the food!”

As soon as her small speech was done she took her seat by her husband and almost instantly Gabby began to talk again, “This is your best event yet, I can’t wait to tell my father about everything he missed. And he’s going to just love the paintings I got for him from the auction, you always have the best taste when it comes to artwork,” Gabby praised Jacob’s mother, who I could see was just loving every minute of it, and like a chain reaction, they both started their on little conversation filled with lovely complements about one another while everyone else at the table was forced to listen.

“Hey, everything alright, you’ve been really quiet?” Jacob whispered against my ear suddenly. Instantly, I felt like the worst girlfriend ever. Here I was silently wishing Gabby and Jacob’s mother would magically disappear all while also wondering if what Jacob’s mother said is true and wondering whether or not I should be worried about our relationship. I was unconsciously letting Gabby and Jacob’s mother get to me and in turn I was ignoring my boyfriend instead of trying to make the most of our last night together. Shaking my head slightly, I twisted towards him and tried to give the most genuine smile I could muster, “Yeah, of course, every things fine, I’m just listening to everyone talk,” I said before leaning over to peck him quickly on the cheek.