Chapter 36- A Night Of Revealing Truths and Confessions part 4

Sorry the wait has been VERY LONG and sorry if you think this is a short chapter BUT good news is the next chapter will be THE VERY LAST. and I hope to have it done by Tuesday. So wish me luck on that. I hope you guys like this chapter. SO TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK by COMMENTING and voting and if your not a follower yet become one if you like. Thanks Whines8

Enjoy

*******************************************************************************************

Chapter 36- A Night Of Revealing Truths and Confessions part 4

Fifteen minutes later, that included a lot of talking Lauren down from killing Derek and causing a scene in front of everyone, Lauren and I finally emerged from the restroom and was heading back up to the second floor in search of our dates, well I was in search of my date while Lauren was in search of a waiter for a drink.

I felt so bad for my friend and so angry at Derek for being so insensitive. Yes, I get that she agreed to see other people and yes Lauren may have acted as though it didn't bother her, but even still, Derek didn’t have to say what he said like he did or in front of everyone. Lauren deserves much better than Derek and that is exactly what I told her while she was crying her eyes out in the restroom.

After finally admitting that she never wanted to see other people and saying how stupid she felt for thinking that she and Derek had something more serious than a summer fling, then me calming her down and telling her that she wasn’t stupid at all, but just a great girl who fell for an idiot like Derek, we both finally agreed to forget about what Derek said and just try to enjoy the rest of the evening ahead. 

Now standing by myself, I tried to spot Jacob through the thick crowd of nicely dressed people holding their auction tickets in one hand and champaign glasses in the other. The room was buzzing with light conversation as I looked around the wide room. Finally, I caught sight of him, standing towards the front next to his father talking animatedly with him. 

Smiling to myself, I went to walk towards him only to be halted quickly when Jacob’s mother stopped in front of me. Her fake smile was still plastered on her face and if I had to guess it wasn’t for my benefit but instead, to maintain appearances in front of her other guests. Nevertheless, I gave a tight smile back in greeting,  “I thought my son would have gotten tired of you by now, but I see that is not the case. You must be sleeping with him, that’s the only reason I can think of that has gotten him still following you around like some lost puppy. But just know this dear, It may not have happened yet, but my son will loose interest and come to his senses soon enough.”

The smile I had tightly cured on my lips just about faded away complete as the wicked women spoke. I mean, I wasn’t expecting nice conversation from her at all, but I also didn’t expected her to, in so many words, tell me that her son is only with me because I’m sleeping with him or that he will leave me when he gets tired of sleeping with me. And off all the places to share what she really thinks of me and her sons relationship, she’s doing it right in the middle of her own event.

Before I came here, I promised myself I wasn’t going to let this woman get to me, but as I watched a smug and hateful sneer come across her face, that promise was soon forgotten as my blood began to boil. She thought she was getting to me and now I was going to make it very clear that she wasn’t, “No disrespect,” I began making sure my fake smile was back in place on my lips and brighter than ever, “But what your son and I do is our business and none of yours. And sorry to disappoint but I can assure you… I plan to keep your sons interest for a very, very long time.”

The surprised look that came across her face was priceless and I silently praised myself for not letting her see how angry she was really making me, “Now if you’d excuse me, I believe your son is waiting for me, “ I said as I made my way around her, “I hope the rest of your evening goes well… I know mine will.” 

With that I began to walk away from the vindictive woman and towards the man that meant the world to me while smiling happily to myself for being strong and standing my ground with his mother.

I had only walked a few steps away from Jacob’s mother when I heard her speak quickly again, “My son is going back to school in a couple weeks and so are you,” she stated making me stop in my tracks. 

I really didn’t know what she was getting at and why she just said what she said, and I know I should keep walking and ignore her, but something kept me in place. Giving a deep sigh I turned back to face her and waited for her to approach me again before responding, “Obviously, what’s your point?” I asked trying to get this conversation over with as soon as possible.

To my dismay her smug smile was back in place, and I had no doubt she was silently patting herself on the back for getting me to engage her again. Nevertheless, I waited for her to continue, “I just, well, I  admire your confidence and trust in my son. Lord knows if I were in your position I would be extremely worried.”

At her words my fake smile faltered quickly, narrowing my eyes at her I crossed my arms under my chest and stepped a little closer to the woman, “What are you talking about?” I asked confused. I had know idea what this woman was going on about but for some reason I needed her to explain herself. And as I watched her smug smile get wider, I knew she was all too happy to comply.

“Oh dear you know, with Gabby enrolling back into school for her last year, her and Jacob will be going to the same private university again,” she explained before dramatically covering her mouth in mock surprise as she saw the expression on my face which probably showed all the confusion and shock that I was feeling inside at the moment.

“Oh dear, I’m so sorry. Jacob didn’t tell you? I swear that son of mine is so forgetful, well don’t worry I’m sure he was planning to tell you at some point…He has known for a few weeks now so maybe he won’t. Well, it’s almost time for the auction to begin. You have a good evening Ms. Harper… I know I will.”

And just like that she had turned the tables on me again and all I could do was stand there and watch her glide away towards the man I thought told me everything. I watched from a distance as she rested her hand against his shoulder lightly to get his attention, greeting him with a motherly smile and hug.

I watched her, still frozen in place, as she shot me a wicked grin, obviously happy with what she had done. And what she had done was successfully place a small seed of doubt in my head, because now as I watched the man I love smile and converse with the people he loved… I wondered why he would keep that small bit of information from me. What was his reasons for not telling me and most importantly was he ever going to tell me?