Chapter 14- The End of a Long Dinner

Enjoy

thanks Whines8

**************************************************************************************************************

We have been sitting here eating for about an hour and thirty minutes now and I’m pretty sure I’m seconds away from losing my mind. Gabby hasn’t stopped talking yet and to make matters worse, every sentence that comes out of her mouth has to do with her. Not once has she asked anyone at the table a question about them and on the off chance that she took a breather to put a few peas in her mouth, Jacob’s mom would slyly ask Gabby another question, which would make her start up all over again.

What was irritating me even more than her obsessive talking about herself, was the way she was acting. Everything she said seemed to have a suggestive double meaning to it and she would make sure to look Jacob straight in the eye every time. Jacob, being the respectable guy that he is, just brushed her off every time, which had me burning with joy inside. 

But even though Jacob was ignoring her, obvious attempts, at getting his full attention,  it was still bothering me and Jacob noticed this. He glanced over at me, while Gabby was in the middle of yet another one of her uninteresting stories, and reached over to grab my hand under the table. Squeezing it gently, he gave me another apologetic expression and mouthed, “I’m sorry,” to me right as Gabby called out his name from the other side of him.

“Jacob, I just realized you haven’t had the chance to tell everyone how you and... I’m sorry what’s her name again? It has totally slipped my mind,” Gabby said with a fake smile.

Jacob squeezed my hand again as he confidently answered her question, “My Girlfriends name is Mia, and I’m pretty sure I told everyone that before dinner. As for the way we met...” Jacob started as he looked over towards me with a cheeky grin, “It was on the beach. You could say I have my beach ball to thank for that,” he said jokingly making me smile like a school girl as I stared back at him. 

Our moment was interrupted when Gabby went to ask another question, “So, she works at a concession stand on the beach or something?” She said to Jacob before leaning up to look over at me, “What’s a job like that pay Mia, about five dollars and hour?” She said her tone taunting as she gave another fake smile.

Just as I went to give the skinny blonde a piece of my mind, Jacob quickly chimed in. Looking down at his watch on his wrist, he stood up from his chair and looked over towards his mother and father, “I really hate to do this, but Mia and I have other plans for tonight and we’re running late. How about I come by tomorrow afternoon? Dad you up for a little game of golf? We can hangout for a bit before you and mom leave out,” Jacob said to his father with a grin. 

Jacob’s dad wiped his hands with his napkin before standing up and walking around the table to give Jacob a quick hug. Patting him on the back, Jacob’s dad gave his goodbyes after agreeing to hangout with him tomorrow afternoon.

As Jacob and his dad exchanged a few more words, I twisted in my chair to grab my clutch before standing. As I righted myself, I chanced a glance towards the end of the dining table where Jacob’s mom was seated, and to my surprise she was glaring at me.

She stood up slowly from her chair as she kept her eyes on me, I watched her as she walked around the table to give Jacob a hug of her own. As soon as she got in front of him, the mean glare disappeared and in its place was a big fake smile, “How about you have lunch with your father and I tomorrow after you and your fathers golf session? We can eat at the golf club since you’ll already be there,” she said as she gave him another big hug.

“Sure, I’m up for that. You don’t mind if Mia meets us there do you?” Jacob asked as he pulled away from his mother. 

“Of course not, I don’t mind at all. As a matter of fact I was going to suggest she come along myself,” She said with an award winning smile that could fool anyone; except me.

Jacob’s mother walked around him, still holding that smile on her face, and quickly brought me into a hug as well, “My son may think he’s serious about you, but I’m sure I can get him to see the light,” she said in a whisper close to my ear before pulling away from me and giving another sweet fake smile.

I narrowed my eyes at her as I went to respond to her obvious threat, but just as I started to speak she twisted quickly back to Jacob, “Okay dear, you go have fun and we’ll see you,” she paused for a minute as she glanced my way once more, “And your beautiful girlfriend tomorrow. Gabby dear, did you say your goodbyes to Jacob and his guest?”

Gabby, who had went to the kitchen while everyone said their goodbyes, came strutting back into the dining room with a confident grin, “Of course not, I was just saving the best for last,” she said jokingly, giving a playful giggle and a pat to Jacobs dad’s shoulder. 

Jacobs father gave a light chuckle as he shook his head at Gabby before walking out of the dining room, “Ms. Gabby, the life of the party,” I heard him say as he turned into the hallway.

It was like I was in a crazy nightmare, between Jacob’s mother and Gabby, I knew I was in for a long weekend. And as I watched Gabby throw her arms around Jacob, giving me a sly grin from over his shoulder, I knew I had my work cut out for me. Gabby and his mother weren’t holding back, it was very obvious that they were going to make it their mission to break up Jacob and I and I vowed to myself as I gave her a hard glare back, that I wouldn’t let that happen.