Chapter 15

Micah:

It's close to 10 pm as I make my way back to the main house. My mind is in turmoil, I have spent the last hour and a half listening as Sam and Mitchell talked with Rosy. It had quickly become apparent there was something wrong with her memory, that she had no memory of a lot of things that happened while she lived here. I can't be sure how much is truth and how much is an act, I only know something is very wrong with her.

I leave the winter jacket hanging in the laundry before I make my way to the kitchen. I glance around those gathered at the table and find them all watching me silently. Timny and Chris have a stubby of beer each while Celeste and Lilly have cups of coffee.

"It's definitely Rosy," I say quietly.

"Rosy would never have let any of us take her sons away like that," Lilly says firmly.

"She claims she doesn't know anyone, that she can't remember anything," I say with a hard look directed at her. I glance at Timny as he gets to his feet but he turns and heads towards the other doorway.

"Jazzy will want to know what's going on," Chris says quietly. I give a nod and wait for Jazzy to appear. I don't want to have to repeat the story over and over again. It's not long before I hear hurried footsteps and Jazzy appears in the doorway at the other end of the room. She has a small blanket wrapped kitt held closely against her body and she eyes me suspiciously for a few moments.

"I want to know what is going on and I want to know now!" Jazzy snaps.

"Sit down," I tell her. I don't want her dropping Cameron if what I have to say shocks her.

"Don't tell me what to do in my own house Micah Williamson!" Jazzy snaps. "Either tell me what is going on or you get back to the quarters now!"

"Come on Jazzy, sit down," Timny urges softly as he puts an arm out behind her to shepherd her to a chair.

"Don't you try to touch Cameron," Jazzy warns with a growl.

"No I won't," Timny tells her soothingly as she takes a seat. She looks at me with narrowed eyes and I take a deep breath.

"Rosy's back, turned up in ..." I begin to tell her. Even now after several hours it seems surreal, as if I stopped and closed my eyes for a few moments I would wake to find it was just another dream.

"How is she? Did she say what happened?" Jazzy begins to demand. "Did she tell you what stopped her coming back to you?"

"She was living with some tom out past the central tablelands," I say flatly.

"BUT WHY?" Jazzy demands. "Rosy was crazy in love with you! Anyone can tell you that! Didn't that ... that ... brother of Edwin's partner say she was dead? That she got hit by a vehicle?"

"She says she'd been in an accident," I admit. "And it was him, Andrew Dorrington she was with,"

"Chris go tell Mitchell to get back here and look after Cameron so I can go see Rosy!" Jazzy demands.

"Jazzy leave it until tomorrow," I say firmly. "Rosy is asleep. She's got a bad cold and Sam's called Doc, just let her rest for now."

"Why are you and the boys over here if Rosy is at the quarters?" Jazzy suddenly asks with narrowed eyes. "You and the boys should be there with her!"

"Rosy doesn't remember anyone," I say with a sigh. The more I say it, the more I think on it, the more certain I am that something really is wrong with Rosy.

"That's what was wrong with her face!" Celeste exclaims. "It wasn't just that short hack job of a hair cut! She's had a serious head injury!"

"What do you mean hack job of a haircut?" Jazzy demands.