Chapter 29

Rosy:

I watch the grass filled paddock go by out the window, every now and then I glance across at Micah where he sits behind the steering wheel. His eyes are glued to the road, his grip on the wheel white knuckled and I can hear his breath hiss out sharply whenever he has to slow the pace of the vehicle. I yawn and lift my hands over my head as I stretch in the seat arching my back, I smile to myself as I hear the soft growl come from Micah and when I watch him it isn't long before I catch him slanting a covert glance towards my body.

"How long have you known?" Micah asks tightly.

"Took you long enough to ask," I say lightly as I reach up and pull the sun-visor down so I can look into the small mirror on the back of it. I am silent as I examine my face in the mirror, it is the first time I have seen myself clearly since my memory started to return. I am familiar with the changes caused by the damage done to my head but I feel like I don't know the face peering back at me as I use the fingers on my right hand to lift the long hairs of my fringe off my face.

"Rosyyy, how long?" The words leave Micah in a low growl of demand but I continue to run my fingers through my fringe for a few moments before pushing the sun-visor back up into place.

" I've known for sure for about a month, suspect ...."

"What!" Micah's roar cuts me off mid sentence and a low growl of annoyance rumbles in my throat as the speed of the car reduces quickly.

"Watch what you're doing or you are going to have Steven back-ending the vehicle," I growl at him acutely aware of the vulnerable life I carry.

Micah scowls as he glances at the rear-view mirror, as if on cue a vehicle beeps its horn behind us vigorously. Micah sticks a hand out the window which is immediately greeted with a long blast on the horn behind us, he glances at me and pulls his hand in the car and shows me his fist with his middle finger sticking up before grasping the wheel once again.

"Did you really just flip the bird to the mother of your unborn child?" I ask him dryly.

"Did you really keep the fact you are pregnant to yourself for a month or more without telling me?" Micah demands angrily.

"My need for my mountain over rode everything else," I say with a shrug.

"Frigging hell!" Micah swore as he slammed the edge of his fist against the steering wheel, a distinct sound of cracking plastic accompanied the solid thud. He hit the blinker on and quickly slowed the vehicle as he steered to the shoulder of the road. Even before he pulled to a stop I am glancing around taking in the cleared rest stop with a covered table on the side of the road. I am quick to get out of the vehicle and watch him warily as he climbs out the driver's door. I watch as he grabs his mobile phone from the centre console before pressing at buttons.

"What's wrong?" Steven asks as he, Sam and Malcolm exit the car that has stopped behind us. Micah glances towards them before giving me an annoyed look.

"Your sister is pregnant," Micah growls as he glares at Sam. Sam is confused for a moment, I can almost see him working through the short list of his sisters before he turns towards Malcolm with a shocked look on his face.

"Don't look at me!" Malcolm snaps as he lifts both hands to shoulder height. "You and Mitchell walked in on Sasha and I before we got that far!"

"What?" Micah snaps and I don't have to look to know he has turned to stare at Malcolm.

My cat stirs and I feel her curiosity. All I know, all I can remember of Malcolm flits through my mind. His strength and sensitivity, his sense of humour and his ability to tell when it is time to be serious, his innate way of knowing what to do and say. An image of Sasha comes to mind, not the exuberant fun-loving younger sister I remember in my patchy memory but the shattered young woman who had lost the one she loves so soon after finding him when he had stood with Sam to keep me safe from the dingos.