Epilogue

Cantrell Yates

I glance at the watch on my wrist before looking around the Clan leaders who are standing near their vehicles waiting uneasily while there is a hushed conversation near the door of the long building I believe they refer to as The Quarters. Inside the building I can hear the faint cries of one of the very young kitts and the occasional chatter of childish voices.

  "I don't like this," Danny Doctrill mutters not far from me. I glance his way but he is looking at the ground beneath his shoes, avoiding everyone's eyes. Kurt glances my way and raises his eyebrows, I can see the anger simmering behind his eyes caused by his niece's rebellion against the authority of the board. He glances across at where young Malcolm Inness and Mitchell McIntosh are standing either side of the building door as if guarding the entrance.

I am relieved when Micah Williamson walks from the building followed by his friend Steven Willoughby, a few quietly spoken words pass between the four of them but they fall silent as Rosy McIntosh Williamson exits the building. Once again I am struck by her strong resemblance to her mother, her hair is the same length Jeddah always wore hers sparking my memory. The difference in their colouring is very off putting and disguised the resemblance but looking past first impressions I can see so much of her mother.

"Why are you all still here!" The tight demand from Mitchell McIntosh has me glancing his way.

"There are still things to discuss," Kurt says stepping forward, this power struggle he is engaged in is interesting. He was always able to get his sister to back down and let him take control but I doubt he will be able to do the same with his niece now she is fully mature and has come into her own.

"Cantrell," Micah says. He starts towards me with his wife by his side.

"Shall we all sit down?" I say motioning towards the chairs in the shade.

"Yes, let's get down to business," Kurt says tightly as he steps towards the chairs. He sends a hard glare my way warning me he is in charge, I find it very hard to meet his eyes and look away.

"Kurt sit down and shut up," Rosy says lightly. "All well behaved children know when to be seen and not heard."

I hear the low outraged growl that comes from Kurt and glance his way with real concern for his niece as his growl grows in strength and volume. This isn't the first time Kurt has been temporarily deposed, and I know he will come back stronger and more powerful.

  "Kurt!" Micah Williamson's warning is low and guttural as he reaches out and takes hold of his wife's hand. She immediately stops and turns her head to glare at her Uncle.

"Rosy remember we said will be keeping things as civilised as possible," Micah tells her softly.

"Hold this!" Rosy snaps and shoves whatever it is she had been holding into Micah's abdomen so hard he takes a step back as the air is expelled from his lungs with a huff. I watch as she stalks up to her uncle, she pauses face to face with him for a brief moment before prowling around him. Kurt turns so he is facing her at all times, I get a glimpse of her face and take a few steps back nervously. Turning her back on him she walks to the chairs in the shade of the shelters but does not sit down.

"Say whatever it is you have to say," Micah says tightly as he moves to stand behind his wife. I notice the way he reaches out to run his hands up and down her arms and wonder if it is for her benefit or his.

"Sometimes individuals have to put the good of the society ah..." Kurt begins in a firm tone.

"Enough with the shit!" Rosy snaps. "You lot need to explain why you think you have the right to ask what you are about to ask!"