Chapter 40 - Homesick

Hi everyone.

Sorry it has taken so long to update but the cats don't always co-operate.

Here's a peak into Steven's mind since he was the one talking loudest.

Don't forget to comment and vote.

Gypsy

Steven:

I watch as the vehicle containing the Dorringtons drives away leaving a small trail of dust in its wake. It had been a short visit, tension had hung thick in the air as all who had arrived in the car had kept giving Rosy nervous but silent glances. Rosy had sat on the small bench, her gaze constantly flicking between Micah and Kali. A soft smile had hovered on her lips whenever her gaze had touched on Kali as she played on the ground with one of Cameron's toy trucks.

"Are you okay Rosy?" Micah asks softly. "You look tired."

Hearing the concern in his voice I look at Rosy, evidence of her restless sleep last night is etched in bruise like shadows on her face.

"She doesn't sleep well of a night because you aren't with her," I can't help the censorious tone of my voice as I speak before she can answer. Micah sends me a swift dark glance, our friendship has become very strained in the past few months. I don't hesitate to voice my disapproval of the physical distance that is often between them. I glance towards Rosy where she sits and as if she can feel my eyes on her she glances my way and gives the slightest shake of her head. I watch as Micah walks over to her and reaches down, takes both of her hands and draws her up into his arms.

"Still can't sleep properly?" Micah asks softly as he folds his arms around her holding her close. He rests his cheek against the side of her head only to lift his head and look me full in the face with a dark angry glare, I know my scent is all over her.

"My Daddad!" The angry exclamation startles everyone and I look down to see Kali trying to push between Micah and Rosy's legs. Kali gives a shriek of outrage and before anyone can react Kali opens her mouth and bites Rosy just above the right knee.

"Hey!" Rosy growls as she steps back to pull Kali free and lift her up to face level to glare at her. "Naughty girl Kali!"

Rosy's tone is sharp and forceful as she gives her daughter a hard look, Kali looks into Rosy's face a moment before giving a loud wail and trying to twist towards Micah.

"Daddaddaddaddad!" Kali shrieks in an ear-splitting wail and cries noisily as she reaches her chubby little arms towards Micah.

"Dadda bubba!" Kali wails with loud hiccupping sobs as Micah snatches her from Rosy's arms and cuddles her close as he rubs her back soothingly.

"It's okay Kali, Daddy has you," Micah soothes gently as he rubs his cheek against her small dark head before lifting his gaze to look at Rosy with a frown.

"You scared her!" Micah spits tightly. "Kali doesn't know you!"

"Do you honestly think I don't know that?" Rosy asks evenly in a totally emotionless voice. Micah stares at Rosy tight-lipped for a few moments before turning away, he bounces Kali slightly in his arms and slips one hand under her chin to lift her face so he can look her in the eyes.