Chapter 49

Rosy

 I step out of the building and into the morning sunshine. The warmth of the sun combined with the bright clear blue sky hold the promise of a beautiful day but those climbing out of multiple vehicles carry a silent threat to turn the day into a nightmare we will be unable to wake up from. I glance to my right where Micah is standing, he is watching the Board Members getting out of their vehicles with a tight expression on his face. As if he can feel my gaze he glances my way and meets my eyes as he schools his expression into a mask that gives no hint of what he is thinking.

"Ready to do this?" He asks softly.

"The Dorringtons aren't here yet," Mitchell remarks on the other side of Micah.

I run my eyes over those at the cars mentally noting those I know, I am able to put names to most faces and even feel confident in identifying the few warriors with their Alphas. I watch as Steven and Mikkarl's dad Stephan Willoughby walks over to shake the hands of Mal Inness and Bert Stephan. Kurt Black approaches Cantrell Yates and the two have a hushed conversation with quick glances towards us.

"None of them seem in a hurry to come over here near where you have the twins," Steven says with a faint chuckle.

"Hey Mitchell," Malcolm says in a very serious tone and a glance towards Mitchell.

 "Are you feeling more than slightly insulted too? Both you and I should have been invited to speak with that lot over there before all of this goes down," Malcolm says with a scowl towards where Kurt Black is circulating among the others.

I hear Mitchell's growl of annoyance and watch as he and Malcolm walk side by side towards the others in a united front. There is tension between them since their fight but Malcolm has went out of his way to make it clear he was not interested in challenging Mitchell. I glance towards Micah, he is watching the visitors with slightly narrowed eyes. I look back to where Mitchell and Malcolm are greeting those they have walked up to. I bite the inside of my cheek to hide my smile as Malcolm strategically moves to block the glances sent towards Kurt for silent hints on how to handle this unexpected turn of events.

"Looks like Kurt thinks he is in charge," Micah says. "I haven't heard of any change in who is Chairman,"

I watch as Kurt makes his way from Alpha to Alpha until he reaches where Mitchell and Malcolm are talking to Mal, Bert and Stephan. Mitchell steps forward, I hear the low murmur of his voice but can't make out the words. I feel the push as the power of Kurt's inner cat rolls over me, beside me Micah grunts softly and I watch Mitchell back up a couple of steps warily. All around the small group facing Kurt the Alphas are looking at him cautiously, I draw a breath in through clenched teeth and feel my nostrils flare as I exhale sharply. My inner cat has surged to the front from the blast of power and dominance from Kurt, she doesn't like the feeling left on my skin from it. I blink as I concentrate on her for a moment as I open my mind to hers. Knowledge flows between us and I lick my lips in anticipation.

"Coming?" I whisper to the two strong toms either side of me.

"Might be best if you stay back here for the moment," Steven says as Micah glances at me. I meet Micah's gaze and lift a hand to finger comb my fringe back off my forehead, he studies my eyes for a second and I know my inner cat is blazing just behind my eyes.

"Might as well get this show started," Micah says evenly. He reaches out to stroke a finger across the palm of my hand, I glance at my hand and then up to his face. I feel more than see his inner cat near the surface ready to follow my lead and back me up as necessary. We take the first step towards the Alphas as one, I note the way different ones glance towards Kurt but I ignore him as I set my course for Cantrell Yates.