vingt-sept

Stiles POV

I could feel her, gasping for air, her blood burning in her very body as each longing moment went by. I had sacrificed myself for her, laid in an ice bath for her, and yet I could feel her body painfully take its last breaths.

'I love you,' her words run in my head like that of an echoing of a tunnel.

As soon as I felt her soul leave this earth, I found myself sobbing on the side of the road, my body convulsing with every being to go to her, to hold her in my arms.

"She's dead," I found myself saying aloud to myself over and over. "She's gone."

I took out my phone, my shaky fingers finding Scott's phone number.

"Stiles this is a bad time," Scott growled.

"I want you to kill that bitch," I snarled into the phone. "Because Kayla is dead because of her."

I hung up, pounding my head against the steering wheel. I never wished death upon someone so greatly as I did Jennifer. She had abducted my father but then stole the life of the person I was destined to love for the rest of my life. I found myself with a lead foot, driving into the storm to save my father and the lifeless corpse of my girlfriend.

I crashed, my head bleeding and myself blacking out.

+

"Where is she?" I felt my teeth clenched, my eyes reddened from the puffiness of my rage-filled crying episode. "Let me see her."

Melissa was holding me back along with my father.

"Allison and Isaac are down there," Chris mumbled. "Kayla saved us."

The floor of the forest was partially caved in, but there was support in a certain area. My father hugged me, feeling my heartbreak and suffering.

"Let me see her," I sobbed. "Let me see Kayla."

The adults shared looks of compassion, a nod running through the group.

"He deserves to see her," Chris added. "Even though she told her sister not to let him down."

"She told Natalie not to let me see her?" I questioned.

"She told Natalie not even to come down. To let Derek or Allison retrieve her-her-" Melissa was crying hard.

"Her body," I finished for her, pushing my way down the cellar.

It was black, my vision blurred.

"Allison?" I asked aloud.

"We're over here," Isaac answered for her.

I could hear her sobs once they were pointed out.

I followed the sounds of her cries, seeing a light coming from that direction. I came to a halt when I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry," Isaac looked away from the body, a sorrowful gaze running through his blue hues.

I laid on top of her chest, her still body still slightly shifted by her claw on her left hand. There were a few tears on her cheeks, which I had quickly brushed away with my thumb. Blood soaked her arm, her jeans soaked as well. I felt my eyes well up with tears, but I quickly blinked them away.

"Kayla," I kissed her forehead. "I promise I'll finish what you've started."

Isaac and Allison had left me.

"I'll always love you," I kissed her lips. "And I'll make sure that I won't be stupid and get myself hurt."

My eyes welled up again with tears.

"I love you Kayla Edwards. I'm sorry you got involved with this," I held her face in my bony hands. "Scotts going to take care of this, okay? I will too. We all will."

I held her in my arms, her whole body. Her blood soaked my clothes, but I didn't care.

"I'll miss you," I laughed lightly. "Forever."

I started carrying her body up the stairs of the root cellar- the Nemeton. The light blinded my eyes, but there was a few more people outside. Deaton was there with a few supplies, his fingertips grazing across her neck hoping for a sign of a pulse.

"I'm going to try and save her. It's rare but she might be able to be saved," Deaton nodded his head, motioning for me to lay her down on the ground.

He held his fingers against her neck again as if he was unbelieving that my Kayla was gone.

"Impossible," he breathed out. "Her pulse, its back."

She's alive?

"Isaac give him some help. We're taking her to my place. We might be able to help her," Deaton ran toward his car. "Take her in Stiles's car. The closer the proximity, the greater chance of her survival."

I aided Isaac in getting her into my car, ready to make sure she would make a full recovery.

'Stiles,' I heard her voice. 'Let me out.'

'Kayla! Let you out of where?' I felt panic run through my chest.

'It hurts. These thoughts. The pain burns me. Help,' she sobbed in my mind.

I stepped on the gas pedal, speeding down the main road.

'We're almost there, Kayla. Just hold on,' I tried to help soothe her.

'I can't open my eyes, Stiles. I'm alone and scared,' she was distressed.

We pulled into the vet, my breathing uneven and staggered. I needed her just as much as she needed me.

"She's speaking to me in her mind," I spoke aloud. "She says she's trapped."

"Her body might've put her in a death-like state until she could be saved. We need to flush the wolfsbane out of her system. First the bullet before it gets to her heart," Deaton pulled out many jars of wolfsbane.

"She was stabbed in the leg," my dad added. "Wolfsbane laced."

Deaton nodded.

"Most Darachs use a less common form of wolfsbane. I'm going to use it on her wounds," Deaton started searching though everything.

"Stiles get a towel with water and place it on her forehead. Isaac get me a lighter," Deaton started mashing some wolfsbane.

I ran toward the sink, running the water over a towel. As quickly as possible, I was back, holding her hand. Her arm flinched at my touch, which caused a small grin to appear on my face at her reaction to my touch.

'It's going to hurt, Kayla,' I whispered. 'Just hold on.'

She groaned in response, her life slipping through my hands. Isaac lit the wolfsbane, covering his mouth from the stench that burned his nose. Deaton quickly placed it in her bullet hole, her black veins slowly retreating. Then he placed it in her stab wound, doing the same.

"Stand back," her body shot up, leaping into the air, shifting in the process.

Grey.

Kayla was no longer black with white around, but she was a grey color. She ran from the door, her eyes burning their purple with rage.

'I'm going to finish what I started,' she growled in my mind. 'And I'm going to make sure she suffers.'

-----
Unfortunately the next chapter will be the last and final chapter of "Evolution". But- I will be writing a sequel. It's already planned out and is called "Digression" (it'll be up soon!) Love you guys.

-Katie