vingt-cinq

"What risks do I have to take, Jennifer?" I hissed, my teeth forming and shifting into what seemed to be their residing normal form of large incisors. I growled at her, a small part of me wishing that we could've made out with the deals we had originally sought out to achieve.

"Take their places. All of them," Jennifer snickered, a playful yet devious smirk etched into her face.
I felt my nails come out, digging them into my palms to avoid further death; it wasn't in my nature.

"You sacrifice me and you give the parents back?" I needed clearance.
Jennifer nodded her head up and down.

"Take me then," I shut my eyes, feeling a warm rush of blood coming down from my neck.

"Excellent choice," Jennifer snarled in my ear just before I blacked out.

+

My head was pounding, my chest felt as if I were being stoned; as if rocks lay upon my chest until I confessed my deepest sin. Still, I could hear three other heartbeats drumming through the room, heavy breathing coming from two.

My green hues opened, a burning feeling making them their usual purple. Before I got a chance to even recognize or take in my surroundings, a shudder erupted from a spot nearest me.

"Kayla," his voice sounded slightly calming to my agitated state.

"Sheriff Stilinski," I curtly nodded his way. "It's a blessing to see you're okay."

"I should say the same to you," he grinned in my direction. "Why are you here? You should be helping them."

I stayed quiet for a short moment.

"I agreed to be here."

I said nothing of the words that Jennifer and I spoke of.

"A guardian black dog? Correct?" he questioned me. "I apologize. I'm new at this."

"So am I," I mumbled just barely audible. "Yes, though. You're correct. I am a guardian black dog."

There was a sudden awakening in the corner just before me.

"Melissa," the Sheriff called out to her.

"Calm down. We're safe for the time being."

"Ms. McCall," I called out to her, my eyes luminous in the dark searching out for her.

"Kayla!" Melissa screamed. "Why are you here?"

I sighed, my heart pounding against my sternum. She had her brown irises locked against my purple ones, searching for my answer as the silence and the blackness engulfed us in a depressing ambiance.

"You are not going to die. Any of you," I felt such compassion as I felt my courage inching into the atmosphere.

"Then what about you?" I heard Allison's father, Chris, add into the conversation.

"I will die for a cause," I felt my stubbornness enter the room, making an appearance I never thought I would allow it to.

The silence once again fell over the room, my head suddenly pounding with the hope and thrive of many trying to enter my mind.

"You cannot do that to my son," the Sheriff had such power behind his voice. "He needs you. Now more than ever."

"I will not allow you death to be struck through this world, Kayla. Scott will need you. Allison will need you. Stiles will need you, desperately," Chris Argent spoke aloud. "I've seen first hand the consequences of anchors like you two losing each other. It's past anchors, Kayla. It's soul mates."